PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help installing Ubuntu

GhostlyFox
April 11th, 2015, 02:50 PM
Hi, i currently have Win XP and i want to switch to Ubuntu. I tried installing it with Wubi, UNetBootIn and instlux, also i tried iso image way but none have worked so far.

Using Wubi i get error telling me i dont have enough memory even though i put 30gb installation size.
Using UNetBootIn i dont have option to chose Ubuntu on Choose OS Screen, only have two WINDOWS (default).
Using Instlux it just reboots my computer and then tells me to uninstall... Even if i don't uninstall it and reboot manualy again it wont start installation.

Here is my boot.ini with unetbootin installed

[boot loader]
timeout=30
default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOW S
[operating system]
multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WINDOWS="Windows XP"
C:\ubnldr.mbr="UNetbootin"

Also i cant use Stick and CD way because my computer is very old and bios only has option for floppy disks in removable boot and my comp wont load cds.

The most successful way so far was with Iso Image... I chose Ubuntu and i get gurb command line but idk what to type to initialize installation.

grahammechanical
April 11th, 2015, 04:13 PM
We do not recommend using Wubi.exe as a method to runing Ubuntu. To start with is was only ever meant to be a temporary way of testing Ubuntu. It was not meant for prolonged use. The second and most important reason for not using wubi.exe is that it is no longer under development. It is not supported any more.

With nearly all the methods of installing Ubuntu we need an install medium. Either a DVD disc or an USB memory stick. The installer has to take files off of the DVD disc or USB stick. There is an install method where we have a very small size installer and all the other stuff that makes up a Ubuntu OS is downloaded from the internet. It is called a mini ISO or Network Boot. It is small enough to fit onto a CD with masses of room to spare but not onto a floppy disc. Mini ISO = 30 MB to 40 MB in size.

Besides, If you have a machine that has a BIOS that cannot load from CD drive then the hardware might be too old for Ubuntu and even too old for any of the flavours of Ubuntu. You may need to try with some other Linux distributions.

Tell us the hardware specifications of this machine. CPU? RAM? Video/graphics adapter? That kind of stuff.

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/MinimalCD

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lubuntu/Documentation/MinimalInstall

Regards.

GhostlyFox
April 11th, 2015, 04:34 PM
AMD Athlon(tm) Dual Core Processor 4850e
2.51GHz, 1.87 GB of Ram
nVidia GeForce 6150SE nForce 430...
Also my comp is 32Bit

I had Ubuntu few years ago but i installed it via Wubi.. Also i can set boot up to be from cd but not from usb stick.

ajgreeny
April 11th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Your comment
Using Wubi i get error telling me i dont have enough memory even though i put 30gb installation size.has nothing to do with the space you reserved for ubuntu; that is not memory, it is disk space for the installation. The error was all about RAM, and as your machine was an old XP one without the ability to boot from USB, I suspect it does not have enough RAM to manage a GUI installation.

As grahammechanical says above, wubi is no longer supported so I recommend you forget about that, and if the machine is as old as you seem to be suggesting, you may also need to forget about any of the Ubuntu family of OSs and look at other smaller distros, eg Puppy

EDIT:
I've just seen your specs, which should be fine for the lighter versions such as Xubuntu and Lubuntu, but possibly not Ubuntu itself with the unity desktop which is fairly resource hungry, and needs really good 3D capable graphics.
Do you have a CD or DVD drive? If it can read DVDs you can install using a live DVD burned from the .iso file, which I assume you already have.

dino99
April 11th, 2015, 04:36 PM
as you have not much ram, choose lubuntu for example

GhostlyFox
April 11th, 2015, 04:38 PM
Can i install lubuntu using UNetBootin ?

GhostlyFox
April 11th, 2015, 05:41 PM
Just saw your edit.. And yes i have CD Drive but the problem is that one CD Drive is plug off cause cable for some reason there aren't two cables and i tried to remove cable from the CD Drive that isn't working but it wont come off... Thats why i am trying to use installers, but no luck with them...

GhostlyFox
April 11th, 2015, 07:15 PM
This is what boot.ini has after UNetBootIn

C:\ubnldr.mbr="UNetbootin"

but it won't load it after reboot..
It say's Failed to load boot.ini
Booting from c:\WINDOWS

mörgæs
April 11th, 2015, 11:04 PM
While you still have Windows you could consider upgrading the BIOS. Might solve the booting problem.