PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Password for sleep Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

claven123
April 9th, 2015, 03:09 PM
I did a fresh install of 14.04 LTS and noticed I need a password after it times out or sleep on my desktop. I did some searching and disabled the password and change the sleep time to longer. I then restarted and then when it powered on I got the blank screen, as if the computer was in a sleep mode. But i heard everything....

I then did another fresh install on top and all is well.

1. How to I change the time to longer for the 'screen saver' sleep mode
OR
2. Disable to not use the password

All without messing up the install? BTW, at the same time I did all the updates waiting and it might have been one of those items that corrupted the system.

Thanks,

Dennis

grahammechanical
April 9th, 2015, 04:20 PM
We set a password during installation. Is that not correct? Ubuntu, on our behalf, uses that password to login to Linux and then load on top of Linux. Without that password Ubuntu is broken.

We can set Ubuntu to load without a user login and we can set to deactivate the lock screen. A default installation will have Lock screen enabled and also a tick mark against "Require my password when waking from suspend." All this is independent of the time settings for Lock Screen or Turn screen off when Inactive.

System Settings>Brightness & Lock.

Regards.

claven123
April 10th, 2015, 02:17 PM
>>>>>>We set a password during installation. Is that not correct? Ubuntu, on our behalf, uses that password to login to Linux and then load on top of Linux. Without that password Ubuntu is broken.
>>>>>>We can set Ubuntu to load without a user login and we can set to deactivate the lock screen. A default installation will have Lock screen enabled and also a tick mark against "Require my password when waking from suspend." All this is independent of the time settings for Lock Screen or Turn screen off when Inactive.
>>>>>>System Settings>Brightness & Lock.

Yes, I set a password during installation as usual. I then unchecked the button to use password at installation. (no change from usual standard)

However, the brightness & Lock is the issue. I made changes there and then on reboot or wake, I would get the black screen.

How do I prevent that from happening, or to disable the password prompt without messing the system up?

D