PDA

View Full Version : Upgrade to Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS from 12.04 LTS using upgrade button

arborhil
April 7th, 2015, 02:31 PM
I waited a year, because the last time I tried to do an upgrade was from 6.06LTS to 10.04LTS. It was a disaster. At least I had a backup though. This time I was upgrading my desktop and going from 12.04LTS to 14.04LTS. The thing is, I have MySql databases, OpenOffice applications written in Base, a home network that is functioning correctly, and of course all of my usual configs and settings. I also have one purchased program: Navicat, which works with MySql. Appache server is also set up. So I had a lot of work that could be lost during the upgrade.

I just clicked the upgrade button in the updater. I was warned that it would take a long time (and it did.) It's not like you can leave the desktop to do its thing. No. It will periodically stop and ask you about how you want to proceed over some obscure software settings, and give cryptic warnings as well.

My warnings were just something about xscreensaver or x-lock being open and must be closed (except nothing works during the upgrade) and that I should re-enable 3rd party sources because they would be disabled. Both of these warnings were no big deal. I still have xscreensaver working fine (since the upgrade) and I did re-enable the 3rd party sources in Synaptic. As far as all of the decisions about whether to accept a new config or keep an old one: I always KEPT the old one. Never accept the new one. Even after doing that, there were some configs that needed to be re-instated (just a couple though.)

Overall, the process, while scary, worked great! I now have Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS in all of its glory and ALL of my old stuff still works and is present. I really like the new version. It seems more stable and everything is working even better. Of course I had a backup if anything had blown up. But now I have backed up 14.04 because I really want to keep it!