PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Installed Xfce, and am now stuck with Xfce login manager

Travis_Rector
April 6th, 2015, 05:51 PM
I apologize if this has already been posted, but I couldn't find it. Everything I've tried on this issue doesn't work.

I installed Xfce the other day, and it changed my login screen from Unity's to Xfce's, as you can see below: (Sorry for the pic, I couldn't take a screenshot of the login screen)

I wish to get the default login screen back, but I cannot figure it out. I've tried editing the lightdm.conf file, but it's blank and when I add the lines that other posts have said, it forces Ubuntu into a low graphics mode. Is their anyway to get it back than what I've tried? Also, I've removed all of Xfce in an attempt to fix it, but that obviously didn't work.

Thanks

egeezer
April 6th, 2015, 09:19 PM
Look in the upper right-hand corner, there's a power icon there. Either it or the icon next to it (can't remember what it looks like) will give you a drop-down where you can choose to go back to Unity.

Not that I ever leave Xfce, myself... ;-)

Travis_Rector
April 7th, 2015, 01:48 AM
Oh, no that's not the issue. I'm able to switch between them just fine (I now only have Unity, KDE, and Gnome installed, I may put Xfce back after I figure this out). My issue is the login screen. I liked the style of the default login screen when you first install Ubuntu:
No matter what I seem to try, I'm stuck with the Xfce login screen. It's alright though. It won't kill me to stay with that one, just wish I knew how to change it.

CantankRus
April 7th, 2015, 09:12 AM
Xfce uses and installs the "lightdm-gtk-greeter" which overrides the unity-greeter.
Uninstall ...

sudo apt-get remove lightdm-gtk-greeter
Reboot.

Bucky Ball
April 7th, 2015, 09:17 AM
You did just install xfce4 rather than xubuntu-desktop? If you just want the desktop environment, the former is the way to go. ;)

Travis_Rector
April 8th, 2015, 01:12 AM
Xfce uses and installs the "lightdm-gtk-greeter" which overrides the unity-greeter.
Uninstall ...

sudo apt-get remove lightdm-gtk-greeter
Reboot.

Thanks a lot! That worked perfectly! Now I know for next time. Hopefully someday I'll know a lot more about Ubuntu and Linux in general.

You did just install xfce4 rather than xubuntu-desktop? If you just want the desktop environment, the former is the way to go. :wink:

Yeah, I did. I've been installing different desktop environments to see which I like best. Right now, I like Unity, KDE, and Xfce. Lxde was just too minimal for me. I was trying Mate yesterday, but now it freezes as soon as I login, so I don't know what the problem is there. :mad: