PDA

View Full Version : Best place to find old used computers cheap

ethan26
April 5th, 2015, 06:22 PM
Hi people, I am looking for inexpencive computers for testing and parts but I havent had much luck. I am building a computer right now and I need cheap parts mainly a sata power supply. But I dont want to buy it retail. All sugestions will be taken into consideration!
Thanks in advance and happy easter!:)

d-cosner
April 5th, 2015, 07:55 PM
They make SATA power adapters that fit on to the regular molex connectors. I took some off a bad power supply and put them on an older working power supply for my father-in-law. eBay might be a good place to look for these cheap.

Craigslist and eBay are good places to find cheap used computers and parts. I upgraded my processor for $10.00! Sometimes computer shops will also have used parts cheap. I have been to a couple that had bins full of used parts really cheap.

inhiway
April 5th, 2015, 08:18 PM
Try looking in Facebook for your local county and city buy sell groups, I live in a smallish town and there are lots of them here, it's hit or miss, but many allow you to ask for things

ethan26
April 5th, 2015, 09:10 PM
Thank you both. I will look into that!
Thanks!

Old_Grey_Wolf
April 5th, 2015, 09:19 PM
This is hit-or-miss, and takes time for results. Some of the towns close to where I live have electronic recycling days. They are advertised on the towns website. People bring a bag of tools and wait outside the recycling center. By the time a computer gets dropped off and makes it to the recycling center they are nothing but the carcasses left over from a meal.

kerry_s
April 5th, 2015, 09:39 PM
pawn shop, craigslist, swap meet, friends, family, ...

just start asking around, you'll be surprised what turns up, most people are not tech savy & when it breaks they'll just throw it in a closet, garage, basement, just forget about it till someone says something to remind them. i'll often get things from friends of friends, some people really get around, word of mouth is still a really good way of finding things.

alex361
April 6th, 2015, 12:38 AM
Best place i've is in on ebay, use search engine you can find best deals ;)

ethan26
April 6th, 2015, 02:35 AM
Thank you all for the sugestions thay are all very good ideas and i will be implamenting them in the future
Thanks and happy easter!

stalkingwolf
April 7th, 2015, 04:14 PM
ebay is good . back when i was just starting to learn computers i went to thrift stores to get guinea pigs. salvation army, good will etc.