PDA

View Full Version : AMD and the Server Market

KingBahamut
August 1st, 2006, 04:41 PM
"AMD has taken 25 percent of the server market for itself, according to a News.com article. This gives them some 21 percent of the entire x86 market, and is an increase from only 16 percent in the second quarter of 2005."

From the article: "AMD has been picking away at Intel's server market share for several years based on the superior performance and power consumption of its Opteron processor. But Intel fired back last month with a new Xeon processor based on its Core microarchitecture that appears to be outperforming current Opteron processors on several tasks. Intel is pinning its hopes of resurrecting its market share--and its stock price--on the new Core generation of processors."

External Link
http://news.com.com/AMD+nabs+25+percent+of+server+market/2100-1006_3-6100601.html?tag=nefd.top

Intel has a huge market share for sure, but I think that IBM and Sun's Adoptions of the Opteron Processor are going to continue to eat away at Intel's Market share, regardless of what they do performance wise to their new Core 2s. My curiosity says " What will Quadcores do to this market share on either side?"

mips
August 1st, 2006, 06:36 PM
Yeah, and AMD have also got plans for the future. Iposted a link in some other cpu thread about this.

asimon
August 1st, 2006, 06:44 PM
Impressive. I think a bit more market share for AMD is a very healthy thing for the market and especially the customers.

prizrak
August 1st, 2006, 08:11 PM
I agree with asimon, I do think it's going pretty well. The way I see it Intel is best on mobile systems (Laptops, Tablets, UMPC's, Convertibles) and AMD is great on the desktop. Both are kind of equal on the server side.