PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Too much on the start up screen

grandad67
April 5th, 2015, 09:02 AM
Hi, I've been an Ubuntu only guy for yonks. I decided to try another os (majiea) a go; then found that I needed some Ubuntu stuff, most of all an OS that works my HP Laserjet 1005. Even now I had to install the LTS version of 2010. Yeah, there are; I'm told work-arounds, but what's quicker than a dual boot: a couple of GBs and away we go.
My question is...I boot up and instead of boot options 'magiea or ubuntu'...........I've got 6 or 7,,,,,,, how do I get rid of all the alternatives.
Cheers.......................................

Bucky Ball
April 5th, 2015, 09:47 AM
Try Grub Customizer. Be aware that 10.04 LTS is no longer supported, and hasn't been for a couple of years, so if things break it's doubtful you will find a lot of help here.

Try Xubuntu or Lubuntu 14.04 LTS if you need to as they are lighter.

Topsiho
April 5th, 2015, 09:55 AM
Firdt: I am sorry I don't seem to really understand what you are writing about, or what advise you want from us. Maybe it's because I am not a native English speaker, so it might help if you describe your problem in plain English. The forum members are scattered all over the world ... (An example: what do you mean with yonks? :) ).

Second: what you seem to describe is way too vague and fuzzy. You would probably get a more satisfactory answer than this one, if you give a more accurate description of your problem, and what you are trying to do.

Third: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is obsolete by now (on the desktop), or almost obsolete, after 5 years. It is advisable to install a more recent LTS-version, 12.04 or 14.04, so your install will be supported longer.
If you don't mind installing every 9 months, and love to have the most recent software, even if it is less stable, then you could wait until 15.04 is published someday this month.

Topsiho

Bucky Ball
April 5th, 2015, 09:59 AM
Third: Ubuntu 10.04 LTS is obsolete by now (on the desktop), or almost obsolete, after 5 years.

10.04 LTS was only three years support. 10.04 LTS server was five (which ends this month). All Ubuntu LTS releases are now five years. ;)

To the OP, see here (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2229730) for staff recommendations. You can go for the current interim release, 14.10, if, as Topisho mentions, you don't mind upgrading every nine months. ;)

Topsiho
April 5th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Thanks, Bucky Ball, I already thought so, 3 years for the desktop, 5 years for the server version. But I was not sure, and not inspired enough to look it up.

Topsiho