PDA

View Full Version : Linux Easter Eggs

cariboo
April 4th, 2015, 04:38 PM
I ran into an article about Linux Easter Eggs last night, that had one I hadn't seen before.

Insult Users with sudo.

You can configure sudo, used to elevate the privileges of a command, to insult users when they type in an incorrect password.
To do so, edit the sudoers file with a tool called visudo, which edits and validates modifications to the sudo configuration file.

sudo visudo

Near the top add a line:

Defaults insults

Save and close the file.

Next, empty the cache that stores your password for a certain amount of time and then mistype your password for a sudo command:

sudo -k
sudo ls

cariboo@skynet:~$ sudo ls
[sudo] password for cariboo:
Pauses for audience applause, not a sausage
[sudo] password for cariboo:
You type like I drive.

Has any one else run into any Easter eggs aside form the usual?

d-cosner
April 5th, 2015, 02:43 AM
Watch Star Wars in the terminal!

telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl

Just copy and paste into the terminal and enjoy! :)

oldos2er
April 7th, 2015, 12:03 AM
I ran into an article about Linux Easter Eggs last night, that had one I hadn't seen before.

Insult Users with sudo.

This is actually one of the first things I do on a fresh install. Not an easter egg, but you can also add pwfeedback if you want to see asterisks in terminal when you type in your password.

ethan26
April 7th, 2015, 12:26 PM

Just copy and paste into the terminal and enjoy! :smile:
this is not just a linux easter egg. besides the fact that on some systems you have to installl the telnet command it works on all pcs.

d-cosner
April 7th, 2015, 12:43 PM
Yeah but it's still kind of cool and not a lot of people know about it.

Habitual
April 7th, 2015, 03:24 PM

Just copy and paste into the terminal and enjoy! :)
BoFH excuse generator on the same host:

telnet towel.blinkenlights.nl 666 Some of them are actually passable to uninformed users, not that I'd ever do that! :wink:

"Defaults insults" didn't work as described on Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS server for some reason, yes, I restarted ssh and did a sudo -k

openssh-server:
Installed: 1:6.6p1-2ubuntu2

Visudo dork, not /etc/ssh/sshd_config

portalhavoc
April 7th, 2015, 04:10 PM
Android (Which is a Linux-based OS) has had some pretty interesting easter eggs since Android 2.3 Gingerbread.

My favorite has to be the Jelly Bean one where you get to throw jelly beans across the screen. :)

ethan26
April 7th, 2015, 08:54 PM
how do you the jelly bean thing. I need to know!

portalhavoc
April 7th, 2015, 11:09 PM
To do it you need to go into the settings, open "About Phone or Tablet" press the Android version number about 20 times and press on the jelly bean and there you go!

john387
April 17th, 2015, 01:00 PM
heheh...some fun ones here!