PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Ubuntu Firefox mse & h.264

Swiftjay
April 2nd, 2015, 07:12 AM
It's great now that mse is enabled on firefox, I'm quite happy about this, it's definitely a big up for Firefox. However, I'm wondering if mse & h.264 can be enabled? I've been searching around the web and I've seen posts about installing the gstreamer1.0 packages to make this happen but from doing this nothing has changed and I still can't have mse & h.264 in blue (without telling firefox to ignore it anyway). Am I missing something to make it play?

TheFu
April 2nd, 2015, 07:24 AM
This probably won't help you, but I followed some gstreamer instructions to get h.264 support added to firefox and it "just worked" here. If there had been any issue, I would remember more about it, but I don't.

Plugins:
* openh264 from Cicso
* VLC Web plugin
* mplayerplug-in

Swiftjay
April 2nd, 2015, 07:37 AM
I have the openh264 codec but I believe it's only for webrtc only, VLC web plugin probably installed by default after VLC correct? This mplayer plugin which one did you try and install?

TheFu
April 2nd, 2015, 04:52 PM
Dont remember this being hard. This is the only package:

$ dpkg -l|grep vlc
ii browser-plugin-vlc 2.0.6-2 i386 multimedia plugin for web browsers based on VLC
Lots of other non-web items in the list removed.

The others must have been installed using the firefox plugin/extension methods.

Swiftjay
April 2nd, 2015, 05:13 PM
I installed that but it didn't show up but I came across this thread: http://www.ghacks.net/2014/07/25/enable-mse-h2-64-support-youtube-firefox-right-now/

says to enable

media.mediasource.mp4.enabled to true
media.fragmented-mp4.exposed to true
media.fragmented-mp4.ffmpeg to true
media.fragmented-mp4.gmp to true
media.fragmented-mp4.use-blank-decoder to false

I then was able to have mse & h.264 blue ticked :).

Some other packages I installed to help other people were:

gstreamer1.0 bad,ugly codecs also and ubuntu-restrictive

I hope this helps others. Thanks TheFu for your help.