PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu_mate] Uncooperative hard drive when trying to install

Mazate
April 2nd, 2015, 01:15 AM
I have windows 8 installed as my primary OS on an SSD and I have a 2nd hard drive that I would like to install Ubuntu on. My issue is that when I go to my bios, the second hard drive isn't even seen. I couldn't change my boot order around if I wanted to because the bios only sees the SSD and the cd rom. When I boot Ubuntu on the USB drive and try to install on the 2nd drive, it doesn't see it either. However, I can load up gparted in the USB Ubuntu and it sees the 2nd drive. When I have windows loaded it also sees the 2nd drive and reads and writes to it fine. I've tried reformatting the 2nd drive and it doesn't make a difference. It's very strange. Any help or suggestions is most appreciated.

dino99
April 2nd, 2015, 12:59 PM
the first thing to do is to resolve the bios issue not finding that hdd. This often mean a plugging issue on the mobo and/or a hdd settings: small hardware bridge not set as it might in case of old pata/sata (see hdd doc)

Vladlenin5000
April 2nd, 2015, 10:01 PM
the first thing to do is to resolve the bios issue not finding that hdd. This often mean a plugging issue on the mobo and/or a hdd settings: small hardware bridge not set as it might in case of old pata/sata (see hdd doc)

+1

Without it you can't proceed.