PDA

View Full Version : Printing Libre Office Documents

phil68
April 1st, 2015, 07:52 PM
This is my first post so if I'm doing something wrong, please let me know.

Issue: I can print a Libre Office document with no problem. If I try to print a second document in Libre office, the printer spits out page after page of garbage.

Resolution: I have to close Libre Office, reopen, and then print the next document.

Is this normal or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.

ian-weisser
April 2nd, 2015, 12:29 PM
A Writer document? of Calc? Or something else?
Does it occur if you export-to-PDF and print the PDF?
What version of LibreOffice are you using? What version of Ubuntu?

phil68
April 9th, 2015, 10:15 PM
Thanks for your reply.

I have the problem with Libre Office writer.
I was not performing an export to PDF or printing a PDF
Libre Office version information: Version: 4.2.7.2 Build ID: 420m0(Build:2)
Ubuntu Version 14.04 LTS 64 bit

Enigma12
April 11th, 2015, 07:22 PM
If I try to print a second document in Libre office, the printer spits out page after page of garbage.

You don't state what printer you're using. Maybe, if you did, someone might be able to offer advice.

FWIW, I have a (possibly) similar problem with a Lexmark laser printer. I've read that Lexmark printers are sometimes problematical in Linux, but that's what I had, so I use it.

Whether I print from LO Writer or Abiword, I can successfully print many pages, but only if the printer just keeps printing. If I let the printer pause, subsequent page(s) come out as "garbage." What works for me, after the first page or pages are printed, is to turn the printer off, then right back on, to do additional pages.

It is a minor annoyance, but that is simpler and quicker than closing, then reopening, the program. You might want to try that.

user_of_gnomes
April 12th, 2015, 10:30 PM
Can you print from other programs without problems?

ubunt72
April 13th, 2015, 01:47 AM
This is my first post so if I'm doing something wrong, please let me know.

Issue: I can print a Libre Office document with no problem. If I try to print a second document in Libre office, the printer spits out page after page of garbage.

Resolution: I have to close Libre Office, reopen, and then print the next document.

Is this normal or am I missing something?

Thanks in advance.
Yeah, it's not normal. Tell us, the model/version of the printer and what you mean by 'page after page' of garbage? How many pages and what is on the sheets? It sounds like a driver or configuration problem. Some printers have a few options to use for the driver. I might be wrong about this being the issue but I think it would be helpful to others trying to help if you list the printer and the corresponding driver being used.

I'm only familiar with using Samsung, HP and Brother printers - btw.

P.S. I'm not an expert with printing problems but does anyone think it might be helpful if he checks the CUPS web interface page?