PDA

View Full Version : Screwed up the DualBoot (or never had it), only ubuntu loads (no win7 on the list)

oleshkin
March 31st, 2015, 05:45 PM
Hello world!
I just installed a fresh 14.04 on my Asus 1215B laptop, which had a fresh installation of Win7 HP x64.
Now after completing the installation, the system booted automatically into Ubuntu. Since I am new to linux, I decided, that this is my journey and I started researching.

Step 1.
Someone recommended to edit the grub file and change the value of TIMEOUT to XX sec (90 was my choice) and make a
sudo apt-update if I am not mistaken. After reboot, I got a black screen, which after a pause gave me the following line:

Reboot and Select Proper boot Device
After research, I have done the

Step 2.
booted from live usb, installed
boot-info and run it, results were here:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/10712975/

I have also done Step 3 and ran the boot-repair, which now gives me a proper OS SELECTION page on boot, but there is only ubuntu on the list.
http://paste.ubuntu.com/10713036/

Can anyone please refer me to the proper actions needed to make win7 also appear on the list of GRUB.

yancek
March 31st, 2015, 06:12 PM
The bootinfo output you posted shows windows 7 on the first partition and all the boot files seem to be present so the first thing I would suggest would be to boot Ubuntu, open a terminal and enter the following command:

sudo update-grub

Watch the output to see if there is any mention of windows being found, if so reboot and give it a try.

oldfred
March 31st, 2015, 06:50 PM
You have both Windows & Ubuntu installed in BIOS boot mode on a MBR partitioned drive.
But you also show an efi partition.
And you booted Boot-Repair in UEFI boot mode as it shows efibootmgr -v output.

Best to only boot in BIOS boot mode. You must make sure secure boot is off, and that UEFI mode is off or that CSM/BIOS mode is on.
Often if in UEFI mode with secure boot on, it will not let you boot anything other than a secure boot install. And CSM mode is not a secure boot install.

oldos2er
April 1st, 2015, 12:05 AM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.