PDA

View Full Version : Repository help!

Kenneth_Benson
March 30th, 2015, 07:08 PM
I have a disconnected pc with Ubuntu on it (dual boot with win 7). I bought a set of dvds with the 14.04 repository on them. Can anyone tell me how to create a repository directory from those dvds? As in copy the stuff off the dvds to a directory on the machine that aptitude/apt-get/synaptic will believe is a repository and use it instead of online? I know that is approx. 60GB of stuff but I have the space. I want to keep the dvds stored to keep them from getting scratched.

grahammechanical
March 30th, 2015, 10:44 PM
Go to System Settings>Software and Updates>Other Software tab and click Add Volume to add the DVDs as a repository or click Add to put in a location of the repository.

Regards.

ian-weisser
March 31st, 2015, 06:33 AM
Can anyone tell me how to create a repository directory from those dvds? As in copy the stuff off the dvds to a directory on the machine that aptitude/apt-get/synaptic will believe is a repository and use it instead of online?

Use the local package cache instead of a 'repository directory'
Copy packages you wish to install to /var/cache/apt/archives . Apt looks there first.
I suppose you could copy all 60GB of debs to that directory, if you really want to.

Kenneth_Benson
March 31st, 2015, 07:45 PM
@ grahammechanical, actually I don't want the dvds to BE the repository, I want to take the files off the dvds and make THEM the repository.
@ ian-weisser, thanks, I'll use that till I get the other figured out.

Kenneth_Benson
April 6th, 2015, 04:35 PM
Ok, I'm not positive but this might be the answer I (and others) need. There is a package called reprepro that looks like it might do what I need. I'm downloading it and looking for docs to read up on it.
I'll let you know if it's the answer.

<What's the answer to Life, The Universe and Everything?> :lolflag: