PDA

View Full Version : what dose "subprocess.Popen object at 0x7fbd1a079d50" mean

lance bermudez
March 30th, 2015, 03:22 AM
my code is

#! /bin/python3.3
import subprocess

log_file = open ('command.log', 'a')

p = subprocess.Popen ('rsync -vaPhz --stats /home/lance/bin/ -e "ssh -p 22" 192.168.2.5:/home/lance/bin/python/bin', stderr=subprocess.PIPE, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, shell=True)

print(p)

for line in iter (p.stderr.readline, ''):
log_file.write ('>ERROR:' + line)

for line in iter (p.stdout.readline, ''):
log_file.write (line)

log_file.close ()

error i get is

$ python test1.py
<subprocess.Popen object at 0x7fbd1a079d50>

What I'm trying to do is have the output print to screen and save to log file. I need some kind of output so that I know the script is working and not stuck.

Vaphell
March 30th, 2015, 05:15 PM
p = subprocess.Popen (...) spawns an object

when you directly print an object that doesn't implement a __str__() method you get a run of the mill '<CLASS object at MEMORY_ADDRESS>' message.

>>> class X:
... pass
>>> a = X()
>>> print(a)
<__main__.X object at 0x7fc819de3978>
>>> class X:
... def __str__(self): return 'zomg'
>>> a = X()
>>> print(a)
zomg

Apparently subprocess.Popen doesn't so the default is used and that's not how you are supposed to get to the relevant stuff.

And if you want to see output - you iterate over stdout/stderr already to write them line by line to files, why not also print these lines?

lance bermudez
March 31st, 2015, 11:43 PM
I made some changes and still don't know what I'm doing but thanks for the help. I just hope I'm on the right track.

#! /bin/python3.3
import subprocess

log_file = open ('command.log', 'a')

p = subprocess.Popen(['rsync','-vaPhz','--stats','/home/lance/','-e','ssh -p 22','192.168.2.5:/home/acer/lance/'], stderr=subprocess.PIPE, stdout=subprocess.PIPE, shell=True)

output = p.communicate()
print(output)

not sure what to do with this code. This is what I was told may be called a loop right. I did not know it was a loop or not.

for line in iter (p.stderr.readline, ''):
log_file.write ('>ERROR:' + line)

for line in iter (p.stdout.readline, ''):
log_file.write (line)

log_file.close ()