PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual Boot Problems

zachery2
March 28th, 2015, 06:08 AM
I have an HP machine that came with windows 8 installed. I finally managed to get (partially) free of the cursed tyranny by dual booting ubuntu 14.04 (still need windows for certain programs). Then I tried to make a bootable usb for Tails OS as a throwaway computing stick. After attempting (and failing) to boot into tails, windows has once again claimed ownership of my computer. Ubuntu is still working fine, but grub no longer shows up and asks me what to load. Instead, I am now loading straight to windows just like I did before the dual OS setup. Tried Easy BCD, tried changing out of secure boot, tried grub customizer, tried playing with BIOS settings. I don't want to have to do an advanced restart from windows to use ubuntu!!

kc1di
March 28th, 2015, 10:48 AM
Hello zachery2 and Welcome to Ubuntu,

Give Boot-Repair a try , it may fix the problem for you and if it does not it generates at file and stores it online. make sure you record the web page and past it here.
you can get boot repair here. (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Boot-Repair)

zachery2
March 31st, 2015, 01:59 AM
Tried your suggestion. Worked perfectly, but I unfortunately missed the link. Based on what I saw while it was working, the solution was to reinstall GRUB. Thank you! :D