PDA

View Full Version : Anyone here using Android 5.1?

vasa1
March 28th, 2015, 06:01 AM
I got an update from 4.4.4 to 5.1 yesterday.

The main issue for me was that my custom ringtones and notifications were no longer being used. While there are various solutions floating around, what works for me is a roundabout method using ES File Explorer to get the system to "see" my caller ringtones and notifications.

DuckHook
March 28th, 2015, 08:03 AM
Hi vasa1.

I have a Nexus 5, so one of the first to get updated. I like it. I don't use custom ringtones or notifications, so cannot comment on the issue you ran into. I'm sure you've checked on the Android forums, so are likely very much up to speed on any fixes. It is new though, so not sure how many alligators have been wrestled into submission. I'm trying to root mine with something simple like the old towelroot, but that no longer works on Lollipop. I would rather not unlock bootloaders, etc, and I don't feel strongly enough about rooting to go out of my way to hack it. ...fat slow lazy old guy that I am.

robsoles
March 28th, 2015, 10:36 AM
I haven't reached 5.1 yet but I have found that every single major update for my HTC One has changed default tones (for a start) and dropped any custom tones across the board.

Last time it took me a month to start realising the sms tone had just been played - I was about to set it to something a little more obvious when I started recognising it; I didn't want to bother setting a custom one again, no point if a major update turned up again very soon.

Seems like having individual preferences reserved and respected isn't high on the agenda of the people in charge of updates for Android in a general kind of a way.

cariboo
March 28th, 2015, 11:30 AM
I'm posting to this thread on my Nexus 5. I tried upgrading a couple of times but it errored out, so I downloaded the factory image and reimaged the phone.

buzzingrobot
March 28th, 2015, 12:16 PM
Got it on my Nexus 5. Seems fine, but I barely use the thing and haven't tweaked anything beyond the defaults.

vasa1
March 28th, 2015, 12:51 PM
Well, I like to know who's calling before I pick up or look at the phone, at least for some of my contacts. As long as it can be done without rooting, I'll do it.

vasa1
March 28th, 2015, 01:20 PM
BTW, I came across "Device Assist" and installed it even though "live support" is currently limited to just a few countries.
http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015/03/google-device-assist-now-available-countries.html

portalhavoc
March 29th, 2015, 11:12 AM
I have an original Google Nexus 7 from 2012 running Android 5.1 not rooted. And my dad has a Nexus 6 also running Android 5.1.

user1397
March 30th, 2015, 12:45 AM
I just installed it on my nexus 5, waiting on it to reboot. Love how simple it is to flash an image in linux.

edit: been using it for 2 weeks now, honestly can't say I see any difference, but then again I don't consider myself an android power user anymore, I mostly just web browse, text/call, and watch youtube.