PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 14.04.02 upgrade made extremely slow

danielsender
March 27th, 2015, 12:38 AM
I have a Dell Precision M70 with 2GB RAM and the NVidia FX1400 graphic system running with the 304 driver. After updating from 14.04.01 to 14.04.02 it got so slow that is practically unusable, for example it takes about 5 minutos after I enter the login password to show the wallpaper. Calling any application is also painfully slow. So I tried a few experiments to see what could be wrong. This machine is dual boot, running XP in another partition and that works well. So I booted 14.04.01 from a USB stick to see if there could be some issue with the hard disk and this was as slow as with the installed version. So I thought that perhaps one or both memory sticks got damaged. At the grub boot page I clicked on the memtest that ran for a few hours with no errors. I'm really baffled by this, any ideas on experiments I could run?

Thanks in advance.

Daniel

dino99
March 27th, 2015, 11:47 AM
maybe run the : clean/autoclean/autoremove commands; gtk-orphan & bleachbit can also be ran (carrefully as root for the later)
sometimes /etc/rc?.d/ have broken links that needs to be removed
and logs can also be usefull to find warnings/errors

melissa3
March 27th, 2015, 06:34 PM
I'm unsure of an answer, but I would like to follow to learn what the answer may be.

v3.xx
March 27th, 2015, 07:43 PM
Are you using swap? That would cause this.

free -m

danielsender
March 28th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Looking at file ~/.xsession-errors I saw a bunch of repeated lines saying:

init: at-spi2-registryd main process ended, respawning

after "googling" with that text pattern I saw this posting: http://askubuntu.com/questions/455327/unable-to-login-to-14-04-after-successful-installation where one of the answers is to delete ~/.Xauthority. I did that and worked!

Cheers.