PDA

View Full Version : I want to make a remotely controlled server running ubuntu gnome

dalps1215
March 26th, 2015, 05:00 PM
Ok, so I have an old HP box with a 320gb hard drive in it. The display controller doesn't work on this machine, so I need to be able to control the machine remotely from my primary Linux Mint computer. I would prefer a remote desktop GUI if that's at all possible, but I have a little bit of experience with SSH as well. The problem is, I don't know how to install Ubuntu Gnome in such a way that will allow me to just boot it up and SSH/RDP into it without hooking up a keyboard/mouse/monitor. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
EDIT: I have a standard Ubuntu Gnome install disk, not the server version. I don't have any more blank DVDs to burn an image to, nor a flash drive to work with.

MAFoElffen
March 27th, 2015, 03:40 PM
The short answer. While all of what you are asking about OS-wise is possible configuration-wise (with a few caveats and eccentricities) the stickling point that would prevent this from being possible is the video...

A systems' BIOS POST looks for a Video card in its tests. You can boot wihtout a keyboard, mouse, and monitor. But you still need some kind of video card.

Just what is your requirement? What do yo want to do? Is there a need that you think you need a server service? Or ar you just trying to bring life back to some hardware?

SeijiSensei
March 27th, 2015, 06:01 PM
I'd just buy a cheap video card and move on to the next step.