PDA

View Full Version : [server] How to add SSD write cache to existing btrfs stripe array

Derek_Gentle
March 26th, 2015, 06:28 AM
Hello All

I am wondering if there is a way to add a write cache to an existing btrfs stripe?
The issue I am having is when writing data to the stripe, it interrupts any existing read operations, causing XBMC / Kodi / Plex to pause for anywhere from a couple seconds up to almost a minute in some cases.

I am running Ubuntu Server 14.04 on a single dual core AMD Opteron with 4GB of DDR2 ECC memory. This is my main media server and currently has just under 6TB of data used out of a total 14TB of available space.
I opted to use raid 0 / stripe as since this is only media, I'm not too concerned about data loss. That being said, I would rather not have to replace this amount of data.

I've done some reading and unlike ZFS, btrfs does not appear to support SSD caching 'out of the box', but there are other caching options available (dm-cache, ect).
(As a side note, I was running ZFS, but it's inflexibility when the need to expand arose, I opted to go with something with more flexibility).

Can someone advise if what I want to do is possible, and if so, point me in the right direction as to how to do so?

Many thanks in advance!