PDA

View Full Version : Dapper Point Release is coming soon!

ubuntu_demon
August 1st, 2006, 11:27 AM
From http://permalink.gmane.org/gmane.linux.ubuntu.devel.announce/158 :

As discussed in http://wiki.ubuntu.com/DapperPointReleaseProcess,, we’ll be producing the first point release of Dapper (to be called Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS) very soon, probably this week; this will be built from dapper, dapper-security, and dapper-updates, and will consist of updated desktop, alternate, and server CD images.

On the development release front, we expect to start preparing the next milestone release of Edgy (Knot 2) late this week.

I blogged this here :
http://ubuntudemon.wordpress.com/2006/08/01/dapper-point-release-is-coming-soon/

Kernel Sanders
August 1st, 2006, 08:51 PM
What is it? Is it an official Ubuntu update to Dapper? Kinda like Windows XP + a service pack? Or is it Dapper, plus some third party addons?

christhemonkey
August 1st, 2006, 08:55 PM
From the site he linked to:

Point release:
Methods and processes for releasing updated Ubuntu 6.06 CD images to correct (at least) installer bugs.

frenkel
August 1st, 2006, 08:55 PM
Like Windows XP + a service pack.

Kernel Sanders
August 1st, 2006, 08:56 PM
Apologies for my noobness :(

bb002
August 1st, 2006, 08:58 PM
I think it leans towards a service pack. instead of downloading the original dapper cd then doing "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade" to get the most up-to-date packages and having a huge download size. You will be downloading a already updated dapper iso and have a much smaller update size in the future compared to the original dapper iso.

Brunellus
August 1st, 2006, 09:12 PM
I welcome the point release. I'm having headaches installing plain vanilla dapper on my old thinkpad...the plain breezy kernel works, but the plain dapper one freaks out when it meets my PCMCIA hardware. Updated dapper kernels work fine.

Effectively, I have to do a minimal install of breezy, then dist-upgrade to dapper to get a usable system. Not ideal! The point release would have solved this.

G Morgan
August 1st, 2006, 09:18 PM
So the live disc installer may actually work this time then ;). TBH I'm more than happy with the alternate installer, far better in my estimation.

John.Michael.Kane
August 1st, 2006, 10:07 PM
Will this point release include a kernel upgrade? Or is that for edgy only.

ubuntu_demon
August 1st, 2006, 10:12 PM
The fix for "the worst bug in Dapper" :
https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+source/udev/+bug/6367
won't make this Point Release. I hope it makes a future Point Release. At least its fixed for Edgy AFAIK.

ubuntu_demon
August 1st, 2006, 10:14 PM
Will this point release include a kernel upgrade? Or is that for edgy only.
This release will probably contain the current Dapper kernel (unless there's a kernel update this week).

The current Dapper kernel is a different one from the one on the original Dapper (6.06) cd image.

MetalMusicAddict
August 1st, 2006, 10:40 PM
Will this also go for X/Kubuntu?

ubuntu_demon
August 1st, 2006, 11:22 PM
Will this also go for X/Kubuntu?
I have no idea.

ember
August 1st, 2006, 11:51 PM
Sounds promising - I hope that will fix my USB boot crash problem. I guess, I'll give it a try.

3rdalbum
August 2nd, 2006, 06:08 AM
They should have called it Ubuntu 6.06.07 LTS!

AlphaMack
August 2nd, 2006, 09:08 AM
Let's hope it will boot on my old clamshell iBook.

ubuntu_demon
August 2nd, 2006, 12:13 PM
They should have called it Ubuntu 6.06.07 LTS!
6.06 means that Dapper released in June 2006
6.06.1 means that this is an update to the release in June 2006

Since Dapper is a Long Time Support release there will probably be another Point Release in the future. The naming scheme still needs to work in the future (for example in 2007).

MetalMusicAddict
August 4th, 2006, 01:12 AM
I wonder if the ship-it cds will be repressed?

ubuntu_demon
August 4th, 2006, 11:20 AM
AFAIK the next batch of shipit cd's will be 6.06.1. I don't know when they start shipping or arrive.

Brunellus
August 4th, 2006, 03:33 PM
oh. re-PRESSED. when you said "repressed" I had this image of goons with Ubuntu armbands hunting down dapper shipit cds and smashing them.