PDA

View Full Version : Why do browsers like google-chrome use so much memory?

CantankRus
March 25th, 2015, 09:48 AM
Why does google-chrome use upwards of 500mb memory when starting to a bank page with history and cookies erased.
Same with opera-developer.
Just seems a lot just to open.

Recently upgraded from 2G to 4G memory and just not used to seeing over 2G memory used.
Does google-chrome use more memory if it's there to be used?

From a cold boot, start off around 700g ... open google-chrome ...up to 1.3G ...open 3 or 4 tabs and I'm up to 1.8G.

kerry_s
March 25th, 2015, 11:09 AM
to me it seems to always try to use up to half the ram available, so for example i have 2gb it will use just up to a gig, i've got netflix running on 1 screen & on the other screen a few tabs i'm at 897.4mib(49%). i think it just uses what it can. like you i plan on upgrading to 4gb as well, it's already on it's way, hopefully i get it this week. :)
i've tested other browsers, there about the same, except for midori which used about 500+mb, but midori is very crashy. also chrome is the only 1 that can do netflix, i tried using it just for netflix & another browser for just web browsing but resource use is about the same so no point.

CantankRus
March 25th, 2015, 02:59 PM
Yeah , my main browser is opera-developer which is built on chromium and I see the same memory usage.
The reason I upgraded to 4 gig was the modern browsers were using so much memory.
Just appear to be behaving like the tax man.... the more you got the more they want. :P8-[

DuckHook
March 25th, 2015, 05:52 PM
So much of our lives revolve around the browser these days that it's like the central star in a solar system. When you think about it, one can view videos, get news, read books, listen to music, play games, create and edit docs/spreadsheets/slides, e-mail, message and do our taxes, all without leaving the browser. Crazy.

It's the single most important app on a desktop. It is also the most sophisticated and versatile. It must be capable of multiple scripting, large dedicated caching, juggling dozens of tabs and web pages, running hundreds of child processes, accepting dozens of plug-ins and extensions, morphing into a web app that looks like a completely different and unrelated animal, and yet make this incredible juggling act look seamless and effortless. It's quite the feat guys. And it's no wonder that it takes up an obscene amount of resources.

If you want a skimpy browser, try links2. It is totally Mickey Mouse next to the heavyweights, but it allows you to read static web pages well and it's as fast as greased lightning. Oh, and it uses probably 5% of the resources that the bloated monsters do.

robsoles
March 26th, 2015, 06:28 AM
I think flash is the biggest culprit in terms of memory acquired by browsers, maybe it isn't any more but it certainly was the last time I did anything to try to work it out.

I love your sig DuckHook :)

DuckHook
March 26th, 2015, 07:06 PM
I love your sig DuckHook :);)

user1397
March 26th, 2015, 10:10 PM
So much of our lives revolve around the browser these days that it's like the central star in a solar system. When you think about it, one can view videos, get news, read books, listen to music, play games, create and edit docs/spreadsheets/slides, e-mail, message and do our taxes, all without leaving the browser. Crazy.

It's the single most important app on a desktop. It is also the most sophisticated and versatile. It must be capable of multiple scripting, large dedicated caching, juggling dozens of tabs and web pages, running hundreds of child processes, accepting dozens of plug-ins and extensions, morphing into a web app that looks like a completely different and unrelated animal, and yet make this incredible juggling act look seamless and effortless. It's quite the feat guys. And it's no wonder that it takes up an obscene amount of resources.

If you want a skimpy browser, try links2. It is totally Mickey Mouse next to the heavyweights, but it allows you to read static web pages well and it's as fast as greased lightning. Oh, and it uses probably 5% of the resources that the bloated monsters do.
Sing, you canary

DuckHook
March 26th, 2015, 11:15 PM
Sing, you canary:redface:

Matthew_Harrop
March 26th, 2015, 11:39 PM
I have a question then:

Why do we demand so much from our web browsers when we demand so little from others?

And has this demand created the product? or has the product created the demand?

kerry_s
March 26th, 2015, 11:55 PM
Why does google-chrome use upwards of 500mb memory when starting to a bank page with history and cookies erased.
Same with opera-developer.
Just seems a lot just to open.

Recently upgraded from 2G to 4G memory and just not used to seeing over 2G memory used.
Does google-chrome use more memory if it's there to be used?

From a cold boot, start off around 700g ... open google-chrome ...up to 1.3G ...open 3 or 4 tabs and I'm up to 1.8G.

so i just got my 4gb ram & installed bringing me up from the 2gb(1.9gb usable) to 3.7gb usable, i only have netflix running & 1 tab open, it's already over a gig in gnome system monitor, so it's taking advantage of the extra ram, before the same would only be around 800mb used, maybe it'll change when the ram breaks in.

DuckHook
March 26th, 2015, 11:56 PM
I have a question then:

Why do we demand so much from our web browsers when we demand so little from others?

And has this demand created the product? or has the product created the demand?Related questions, I think. My impression is that it is one of those iterative processes where an addition to the browser creates novel demands that then funnel back into even more innovation in the browser. Look at HTML5. It's doing away with flash, which is a wonderful development, but it has to keep evolving to remain relevant.

CantankRus
March 27th, 2015, 02:17 AM
The reason I went to 4Gb was because I thought I needed it and it would make things more zippy.
When on 2Gb I don't remember ever using swap so I don't understand why the extra memory usage
when I have 4GB, unless chrome just allocates itself a % of free memory.

I boot up using about 550Gb.
With a few autostarts enabled and shutter running I'm at 810Gb...
start google-chrome to a blank page and I'm at 1.4Gb.

I'm not complaining just curious, hence the Cafe thread.

kerry_s
March 27th, 2015, 03:17 AM
i think it's fine, that's why we get more ram to use. it would suck if it just sat there half empty all the time. ;)
to bad my cpu sucks, i only got 1.3ghz x2 other wise i might consider some vbox.

kerry_s
March 27th, 2015, 03:18 AM
forum hiccup.

CantankRus
March 27th, 2015, 03:29 AM
Cheap motherboard and amd cpu where purchased with the ram....

glen@Trusty:~$ inxi -b
System: Host: Trusty Kernel: 3.16.0-33-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
Machine: Mobo: Gigabyte model: GA-78LMT-USB3 version: x.x Bios: Award version: FA date: 04/23/2013
CPU: Quad core AMD FX-4300 (-MCP-) clocked at 1800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF116 [GeForce GTX 550 Ti]
X.Org: 1.16.0 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1680x1050@59.9hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 550 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.113
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1250.3GB (12.9% used)
Info: Processes: 243 Uptime: 46 min Memory: 1613.6/3934.9MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17

kerry_s
March 27th, 2015, 03:44 AM
Cheap motherboard and amd cpu where purchased with the ram....

glen@Trusty:~$ inxi -b
System: Host: Trusty Kernel: 3.16.0-33-generic x86_64 (64 bit) Desktop: Gnome Distro: Ubuntu 14.04 trusty
Machine: Mobo: Gigabyte model: GA-78LMT-USB3 version: x.x Bios: Award version: FA date: 04/23/2013
CPU: Quad core AMD FX-4300 (-MCP-) clocked at 1800.00 MHz
Graphics: Card: NVIDIA GF116 [GeForce GTX 550 Ti]
X.Org: 1.16.0 drivers: nvidia (unloaded: fbdev,vesa,nouveau) Resolution: 1680x1050@59.9hz
GLX Renderer: GeForce GTX 550 Ti/PCIe/SSE2 GLX Version: 4.4.0 NVIDIA 331.113
Network: Card: Realtek RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller driver: r8169
Drives: HDD Total Size: 1250.3GB (12.9% used)
Info: Processes: 243 Uptime: 46 min Memory: 1613.6/3934.9MB Client: Shell (bash) inxi: 1.9.17

that's a sweet rig to me, this laptop was dropped on the floor & shoved into a drawer for a few years, it was in a few pieces, hd was shot. a little glue, my ssd from my netbox & hey it lives.
the big thing for me, it was "FREE" lol.

CantankRus
March 27th, 2015, 04:01 AM
At least you have an ssd. :o

kerry_s
March 27th, 2015, 04:06 AM
At least you have an ssd. :o

lol, took advantage of those sales @ xmas time.

DuckHook
March 27th, 2015, 04:07 AM
that's a sweet rig to me, this laptop was dropped on the floor & shoved into a drawer for a few years, it was in a few pieces, hd was shot. a little glue, my ssd from my netbox & hey it lives.
the big thing for me, it was "FREE" lol....not duct tape? :lolflag: You're kidding us right? Right??

CantankRus
March 27th, 2015, 04:08 AM
lol, took advantage of those sales @ xmas time.

No one else is going to get you the present you want. :p

kerry_s
March 27th, 2015, 04:10 AM
...not duct tape? :lolflag: You're kidding us right? Right??

i'm actually out of duct tape :(
nope, not kidding i glued the pieces back together, there are a few small pieces missing but no big deal.

kerry_s
March 27th, 2015, 04:16 AM
No one else is going to get you the present you want. :p

true that. you know when i had 2gigs i had issues watching 2 vids at a time, now it's all good, 4gig upgrade was worth it to me. plus i love having a extra screen.