PDA

View Full Version : So something strange just happened to me...

Matthew_Harrop
March 24th, 2015, 10:27 PM
I just opened Firefox, as usual, and I got a 'sponsored ad' in my new tab - Not a full screen advert, but rather one of my little common page spaces replaced with a sponsored link.
Has anybody else had these?

bapoumba
March 24th, 2015, 10:31 PM
Nope. Would you have a screenshot ?
I use several addons to nuke some things out (ghostery, referer control, privacy badger).

grahammechanical
March 24th, 2015, 11:12 PM
I cannot posts th elinks as I am using Ubuntu Web Browser and it will not allow pasting into this forums reply panel. BUt if you search for "moziilla advertising cnet" you will see links such as:

"Mozilla expands advertising to many more users" and "Firefox users, get ready for ads in your browser."

So, there you go.

ventrical
March 25th, 2015, 03:58 AM
I cannot posts th elinks as I am using Ubuntu Web Browser and it will not allow pasting into this forums reply panel. BUt if you search for "moziilla advertising cnet" you will see links such as:

"Mozilla expands advertising to many more users" and "Firefox users, get ready for ads in your browser."

So, there you go.

:)http://www.cnet.com/news/mozilla-officially-kicks-off-ads-in-firefox/

residualbit
March 25th, 2015, 07:26 PM
Yeah, it's pretty annoying. You can turn it off by clicking the cog on the right and changing it from enhanced to classic.

That being said, I've found that occasionally, ads still show up there, but it is usually after running bleachbit, which I think screw up some of the sqlite tables firefox uses.

robsoles
March 26th, 2015, 03:03 AM
I wonder if just pinning enough of those can drown them out? (I mean the ones that reflect stuff we really visit most, lol, not the ads!)

tgalati4
March 26th, 2015, 04:11 PM
I draw the line at pop-up ads that show up on your mouse cursor. That would be truly invasive. Linux and Open Source are being dragged into the ad-supported operating system. Imagine if it is a cold and rainy day outside, your operating system knows this. You go to wiggle your mouse and you see a small can of Campbell Soup where the mouse cursor used to be.

robsoles
March 26th, 2015, 10:28 PM
I draw the line at pop-up ads that show up on your mouse cursor. That would be truly invasive. Linux and Open Source are being dragged into the ad-supported operating system. Imagine if it is a cold and rainy day outside, your operating system knows this. You go to wiggle your mouse and you see a small can of Campbell Soup where the mouse cursor used to be.Yes, somewhat passionately hate those even more than the 'hey, check out this advert for something completely unrelated to the page you have requested while it loads in the background' - at least many of them are incorporating a 'click to dismiss ad' nowadays.

Matthew_Harrop
March 26th, 2015, 11:41 PM
I'd like it if we could just avoid the ads all together.
I'd happily donate time just so I (And everyone else) didn't have to see them

robsoles
March 27th, 2015, 12:07 AM
Unfortunately; if you convince the advertisers that nobody will see their ads no matter how hard they try they will stop (basically) sponsoring stuff and the 'stuff' pool will decrease as people see less and less chances of reward in bothering to do 'stuff'.

desconocido
April 2nd, 2015, 08:37 PM
Which version of Firefox? I am still using 23 but was about to consider installing 37. But if I'm going to get ads...

Linuxratty
April 3rd, 2015, 12:11 AM
So far,I'm not seeing them..That's all we need,more stupid ads we have no interest in.

PondPuppy
April 3rd, 2015, 09:17 PM
Ah, yes. I see. I seldom open a blank new tab, and for me personally the ads there aren't bothersome. Not like content-blocking popups or embedded video.

Oh, these silly Mozilla geek devs. I was curious about the mouseover effects -- I use NoScript -- and found the page uses XUL. I was not aware of the Ghost-buster references in XUL, but there it is in the page source:

xmlns:xul="http://www.mozilla.org/keymaster/gatekeeper/there.is.only.xul"

Sheesh. :p

john387
April 17th, 2015, 01:02 PM
the problem of too much stuff...

fkkroundabout
April 22nd, 2015, 07:15 PM
well i think the reality is that mozilla receive very little money from donations, unlike wikipedia for example. so to stay alive they must work something out with businesses

mozilla's total revenue 2012: $311 million [google]
mozilla's total donations 2014: $3.2 million

wikipedia's total donations 2013: $50 million

i am not sure of the running costs of mozilla, but i have vaguely glimpsed them on their website, if someone cares to look

also interesting to note, as a european myself, is that north americans donate almost double per person than europeans, to wikipedia. but anyway

benrob0329
April 23rd, 2015, 03:13 AM
I personaly use Midori, not Firefox. I stopped using Firefox when i found out they supported Net Newtralaty. (Sorry if I spelled something wronge, spell check doesn't want to work.)

Kpenguin
April 24th, 2015, 11:58 PM
Have you heard of AdBlock Plus (http://adblockplus.org)? It's an open-source, free adblocker plugin for literally every web-browser out there.

desconocido
April 25th, 2015, 01:45 PM
Have you heard of AdBlock Plus (http://adblockplus.org)? It's an open-source, free adblocker plugin for literally every web-browser out there.Does that also block the ads the Firefox itself puts up?

Kpenguin
April 27th, 2015, 10:37 PM
It can if you want it to. You can pick and choose which ads you want it to block, and which ones you don't. You can create custom parameters for it, or tell it to block certain images/text.