PDA

View Full Version : Completely free Ubuntu?

ravn2
March 23rd, 2015, 03:00 PM
When installing Ubuntu, if I don't check the box where it asks me if I want to install third party software (flash player etc), do I then get a completely free system? Free as in free speech, not free beer. In other words, no proprietary anything.

Thanks

dino99
March 23rd, 2015, 03:03 PM
the default installation is completly free; but you still have the choice to get proprietary drivers after accepting their licence.

ravn2
March 23rd, 2015, 03:08 PM
the default installation is completly free; but you still have the choice to get proprietary drivers after accepting their licence.u

Okay, but when I installed Debian, it told me I needed a proprietary WIFI driver, but with the Ubuntu installer, I do have WIF eventhough I don't check the "third party" box. I find this somewhat strange. Can you explain this?

Bucky Ball
March 23rd, 2015, 03:12 PM
There are drivers for lots of devices already in the kernel, e.g. wifi and graphics drivers.If you shop wisely for you hardware proprietary drivers are rarely needed. It's things like Flash that are the problem. It's free, but it's proprietary.

matt_symes
March 23rd, 2015, 03:37 PM
Hi

When installing Ubuntu, if I don't check the box where it asks me if I want to install third party software (flash player etc), do I then get a completely free system? Free as in free speech, not free beer. In other words, no proprietary anything.

Thanks

To point out the obvious, most embedded firmware including the BIOS is proprietary whether you install the Ubuntu extras or not.

Kind regards