PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] Plymouth stuck. Two splash screens at boot! Can't remove one! Can change the other.

ahears
March 21st, 2015, 06:28 PM
I have a system I just set up and was managing the splash screen at boot, installed a Burg manager and changed the default plymouth. Everything works great but the Plymouth splash. I used the command:

sudo update-alternatives --config default.plymouth

Which produces the output:

Selection Path Priority Status
------------------------------------------------------------
*0 /lib/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-logo/ubuntu-logo-gnome.plymouth 100 auto mode
1 /lib/plymouth/themes/solar/solar.plymouth 10 manual mode
2 /lib/plymouth/themes/ubuntu-logo/ubuntu-logo-gnome.plymouth 100 manual mode

Then:

sudo update-initramfs -u

The Problem seems to be that this does in fact work but that there is a splash that loads before the plymouth and won't unload through these commands. If I press the ESC key to see the text output at boot, then press ESC again..(this restores the graphic). the plymouth changes to the splash I have set! The stuck splash has the purple background and the animation that fills a small white circle and prints the word "Bizcom". On shutdown everything is fine and the Plymouth loads (unloads) as it should. I used Synaptic to completely remove the unwanted Plymouth Theme packages but it is stuck. I can't get it out. It is not the splash I wanted I was just testing different themes when it happened. To be a little more clear, after pressing escape the second time at boot the graphic does appear from the "ubuntu-logo-gnome" theme. The Solar theme is never seen nor used. The unwanted theme has been uninstalled but is still stuck. I do want the "ubuntu-logo-gnome" theme. How do I replace the unwanted graphic that loads before my theme but after the Burg Loader?

dino99
March 22nd, 2015, 10:19 AM
is it Burg still maintained ? I've already seen some complaints about it in the past weeks.
why not purging it ?

ahears
March 22nd, 2015, 11:32 PM
Your post prompted me to check the Burg loader and update it as well as the Grub loader:

These were the commands that fixed it for me:

sudo update-alternatives --all

Changed my choice from Gawk to Mawk, then changed my Plymouth selection to my new choice (ubuntu-logo-gnome), all other selections at defaults.

sudo update-burg && sudo update-grub

Problem SOLVED! Not sure why this "un-stuck" my graphic, but it did:)

UPDATE:

Now I went back and made these changes: Thought this may not be relevant, this was the entire process I used:

Again I executed this command:

sudo update-alternatives --all

Change my choice from Mawk back to Gawk.

Reboot and all is as it should be. Now I can change themes without getting "stuck" again.