PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Changed desktop environments and its messed up my system

Ben_Hazelwood
March 19th, 2015, 10:59 PM
Hi first time post here so let me know if I've missed anything useful out

After installing Ubuntu for the first time the other day, I decided I wasn't really a fan of Unity and installed Gnome. Everything worked fine and I stayed with Gnome for a while.

I then installed KDE to try it out and things didn't go so smoothly. It seemed to change things like scrollbars and other UI items even when logged into a GNOME session.

Therefore I decided to uninstall KDE, however it only removed a few KB vs. the roughly 150MB it took to install.

I then followed this script I found online to completely remove KDE from my system found on this forum post:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/451620/how-to-completely-remove-kubuntu-desktop-from-ubuntu

sudo aptitude remove '?and(?and(?reverse-depends(kubuntu),?not(?reverse-depends(ubuntu-gnome-desktop))), ?not(?or(?priority(required), ?priority(important))))' ubuntu-gnome-desktop+

However, I fear this may have removed far more from my system than I realised as it has changed really weird things like my keyboard layout.

Another issue is that my right click menu is now dark grey as opposed to the white before.

Any ideas about how to get a pure GNOME back on my system?

Moral of the story: don't run a script if I have no idea what it does!!!

CantankRus
March 19th, 2015, 11:38 PM
Try installing ubuntu-gnome-desktop.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-gnome-desktop

Ben_Hazelwood
March 20th, 2015, 12:04 AM
Try installing ubuntu-gnome-desktop.

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-gnome-desktop

i've tried that but thanks for the idea. I've also tried reinstalling unity but the same problem occurs there.

CantankRus
March 20th, 2015, 12:24 AM
Sometimes the easiest solution is to backup, reinstall and start afresh.
Half an hour of your time and just add it to your learning experience.
If you only want Gnome, install it in the beginning.
http://ubuntugnome.org/

Ben_Hazelwood
March 20th, 2015, 12:41 AM
Sometimes the easiest solution is to backup, reinstall and start afresh.
Half an hour of your time and just add it to your learning experience.
If you only want Gnome, install it in the beginning.
http://ubuntugnome.org/

I was starting to think that may be te best option. Shame I already had to do it the other day due to some Bumblebee curiosity. You'd think I'd learn eventually...:p

CantankRus
March 20th, 2015, 12:45 AM
I was starting to think that may be te best option. Shame I already had to do it the other day due to some Bumblebee curiosity. You'd think I'd learn eventually...:p
In my fiddling days I used to do a fresh install every week. :p

Ben_Hazelwood
March 20th, 2015, 01:06 AM
In my fiddling days I used to do a fresh install every week. :p

Haha I can see why. Really should just use VM but it just takes the fun out of it

sammiev
March 20th, 2015, 01:12 AM
In my Gnome Desktop I have VMware installed and test everything else there. One day one of those I test maybe my main Desktop.

Nice for testing the next release as well.