PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] apt-get upgrade fails immedietely

Only1KW
March 19th, 2015, 02:55 PM
A few weeks ago, I got a bad update from Ubuntu which caused apt to crash half way through the upgrade. Since then, whenever I try to run "sudo apt-get upgrade", I get the following output:

user@host:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
[sudo] password for user:
Reading package lists... Done
user@host:~$ y tree... 0%

I recently rebooted hoping that would fix the issue, but it didn't. Any ideas what I can do to correct this? Any logs I can look at to determine why it keeps crashing?

dino99
March 19th, 2015, 03:08 PM
i suppose you first update, then upgrade (not only upgrade)

you still can run:
sudo apt-get clean
sudo apt-get autoclean
sudo apt-get autoremove

sudo dpkg --configure -a

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -f
sudo apt-get upgrade

if the issue persist, then deactivate 'proposed' archive & third party archive(s) (ppa); and update again then upgrade

grahammechanical
March 19th, 2015, 03:16 PM
It is said that we should always run

sudo apt-get update

before running apt-get upgrade

http://www.computerhope.com/unix/apt-get.htm

You show being asked for the password. That makes me think that you have not run apt-get update, which would have required password authorisation. What happens when you use Update Manager to update?

If the updating/upgrading process was interrupted then it is mostly likely that we will have broken packages. We can try

sudo apt-get install -f

or to fix the package system

sudo dpkg --configure -a

Regards.

Only1KW
March 19th, 2015, 04:16 PM
An update followed by an upgrade fixed the issue. Thanks all!

I wasn't aware that an update was always required before an upgrade. Per the official documentation (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/AptGet/Howto):

apt-get update

Run this command after changing /etc/apt/sources.list or /etc/apt/preferences . For information regarding /etc/apt/preferences, see PinningHowto (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PinningHowto). Run this command periodically to make sure your source list is up-to-date. This is the equivalent of "Reload" in Synaptic or "Fetch updates" in Adept.

deadflowr
March 19th, 2015, 05:45 PM
Package versions can be in constant flux.
Going from version 1234, to 1235 when ever a update, fix comes through. Usually this new version can overwrite/replace the old version.

When you run apt-get update, it finds the name of the new version. And your system's package database reflects that the new package version name.
If you don't run apt-get update, then the system looks for the old, now non-existent, package.

Ubuntu resolved this problem by forcing the software updater(update manager) to run an apt-get update every time it starts.
I suppose the Software Center is suppose to do the same, but I've never paid attention.
So from a gui point of view this should be a non-issue.

Only1KW
March 19th, 2015, 06:58 PM
The GUI insists on doing a dist-upgrade instead of just an upgrade, and doesn't differentiate between packages that are only part of the dist-upgrade. I switched to command line upgrades awhile ago as I didn't want to be forced to reboot whenever an update occurred and found that my system often became unstable if I applied the dist-upgrade packages without rebooting.