PDA

View Full Version : Starting over with Linux Code

ski4
March 19th, 2015, 05:49 AM
Having done some minor programming in the DOS days with “Basic, Turbo C++, and AutoLISP” I’ve always had a passion for it. It’s been a long time. So my question is what would be the best way to start over with code for Linux?

lisati
March 19th, 2015, 07:27 AM
Thread moved to Programming Talk.

Please do not start threads in the Resolution Centre unless you are having a problem with your forum account.

benrob0329
March 19th, 2015, 01:21 PM
Well, that depends on what language you want to learn. How much programming experience you have, and how you want to do it. Did you have a language in mind?

ofnuts
March 20th, 2015, 12:31 AM
Having done some minor programming in the DOS days with “Basic, Turbo C++, and AutoLISP” I’ve always had a passion for it. It’s been a long time. So my question is what would be the best way to start over with code for Linux?

The $64K question is "programming what?". Coding is solving problems, so you first have to find a problem to solve. Coding on Linux for Linux is a bit circular, and most of your "problems" on Linux have already been solved. If you want to have fun coding, get a Raspberry Pi and find applications for it in your home. There you can be imaginative (http://norris.org.au/cattack/) and this is Linux too :)

ski4
March 20th, 2015, 03:55 PM
It's been 20yrs. So basically I'm starting from scratch, but I want to play again, not necessarily in depth coding, just enough to keep the "Gray Matter" active, so to speak. There are many out there but a simple one would be an amortization (spelling wrong) schedule for doing mortgages or Auto Loans. Something simple........... I was thinking JAVA or C++
as a starting point.....not sure though.... But if I want to relearn it I want to go with the most widely used and something easy enough to get my feet wet. Then I go from there. Any advise?

ski4
March 20th, 2015, 04:20 PM
Like I said....I've been out of the loop for a long time, over 20 years...I once did DOS BASIC, EDLIN, AutoLisp and Turbo C++.....I remember nothing of it...that was all before Windows ever existed, we had CPM, DOS, COBAL, LISP and FORTRAN in those days, Long, Long ago....so now I'm starting over.....as a Virgin....need help getting started.....
.so.....What is Raspberry Pi.....??

ofnuts
March 20th, 2015, 10:35 PM
Like I said....I've been out of the loop for a long time, over 20 years...I once did DOS BASIC, EDLIN, AutoLisp and Turbo C++.....I remember nothing of it...that was all before Windows ever existed, we had CPM, DOS, COBAL, LISP and FORTRAN in those days, Long, Long ago....so now I'm starting over.....as a Virgin....need help getting started.....
.so.....What is Raspberry Pi.....??
http://www.raspberrypi.org/help/what-is-a-raspberry-pi/

flaymond
March 21st, 2015, 12:43 PM
Try C - Standard programming language for Unix-like system especially for Linux.

You already know C++, try join a project that needs C++ programmer. LXDE moving toward Qt, maybe you can join the project and port the Gtk+2.0 to the Qt framework. :KS

benrob0329
March 29th, 2015, 09:42 PM
I would recommend D (dlang.org) over C/C++ any day.