PDA

View Full Version : Linux Mint 17.1 doing strange things - firefox restarts, applications quit,etc

joo7
March 18th, 2015, 04:59 PM
So, I recently formatted my computer and now have Linux Mint 17.1 64-bit installed on it.

I installed some packages and some heavy Xilinx programs on it and since the beginning something strange started happening:
firefox restarts sometimes, my Xilinx programs ocasionally quit without showing any error and once or twice a day the computer just freezes and I need to manually restart it by pressing the button -_-

I've search a LOT in the internet and so far I tried this:
-Reinstalletd my nvidia drivers twice; once for an older version and now for a more recent one (340.76);
-Updated my Java SDK for the last version
-Disabling hardware accelaration in firefox settings

Has this happen to any of you and/or can you help me? Please don't say "format again" because the Xilinx programs take a lot of time to install and customize.

My computer specs:
-Processor: Intel Duo Core 3.33 Ghz
-RAM: 6 Gb
-Graphics: Nvidia Radeon 9400 GT

The computer was previously running Windows 8 with no problems so this error being related to an hardware issue is highly improbable.

Edit: Well, after I wrote this post the ocasional turn into frequent. The computer froze 4 times in just 1 hour...

deadflowr
March 18th, 2015, 06:01 PM
moved to the Mint sub-forum

joo7
March 19th, 2015, 03:13 PM
I think I found the solution.

Even though I ran a memtest in the 6Gb RAM memories, I didn't trust some of them completely. So I removed the two 1Gb memories yesterday afternoon (I was left with 4Gb) and since then 0 problems: firefox never restarted, computer never froze,etc.

Those f**king memories cost me so many hours!! :D

RobGoss
May 6th, 2015, 10:25 AM
Glad to see you got it all sorted out.