PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrade From 12.04 to 14.04 restart not successful

Coemd
March 17th, 2015, 06:17 PM
I am running a 64-bit Ubuntu 12.04 version on a virtual client being hosted on an ESXi server. During the upgrade I ensure I kept original files "default" when asked. The upgrade appeared to be complete and requested a restart to complete the upgrade. When the VM attempted a restart, it came backup to a black screen and a "static" cursor in the left corner. The machine appears to be powered on, however; I cannot get a ping response neither by IP or name and I am unable to make inputs via the console.

Any ideas?

Peter_van_Loenhout
March 17th, 2015, 07:32 PM
Hi Coemd,

Reinstall GRUB:
Reboot the virtual machine with the Ubuntu 14.04 install image > Rescue a broken system >
Go through the questions that you get shown > menu 'Rescue operations': Reinstall GRUB bootloader.
This usually helps after upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04.

Coemd
March 17th, 2015, 09:45 PM
Thank you very much for your assistance. Reinstalling the bootloader was successful and the system was able to boot correctly and enable be to verify my upgrades.

Reinstall GRUB:
Reboot the virtual machine with the Ubuntu 14.04 install image > Rescue a broken system >
Go through the questions that you get shown > menu 'Rescue operations': Reinstall GRUB bootloader.
This usually helps after upgrading from 12.04 to 14.04.