PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] live dvd/usb won't load, hangs at splash screen

publicacount1
March 16th, 2015, 11:06 PM
Hi there. I'm having some trouble getting ubuntu 14.10 64 bit installed on my new alienware laptop. Specs are: Core i7-4700MQ, GeForce GTX 765M (switchable graphics with intel gpu), 16gb ram, 1tb harddrive. I can get both a live dvd and usb to boot, but when I select the "try ubuntu without installing" or "Install ubuntu" option, it gets the splash screen (the logo screen with the flashing dot progress bar thing) and just hangs. It doesn't freeze but the progress bar keeps going until I press the power button to force my computer off.

The iso is good (corrrect md5sum) and both the dvds and usbs that I tried will properly boot and install on other computers without any problems. I should also note that ubuntu 14.10 successfully installed on an older model of the same laptop that is almost identical in terms of system spec (that i'm using right now). The only difference that i can tell is that my new laptop has two harddrives, and that some digging around in the bios shows that they are operating in raid mode (don't know what that means but maybe that has something do with it?).

Is there any hope of getting ubuntu installed?

Thanks.