PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] UPGRADE from Ubuntu 14.04 to 15.04

ansus
March 14th, 2015, 02:46 AM
I am considering upgrading from 14.04 to 15.04 when it is released April 23rd. Ubuntu 14.04 runs fine and I have things and Apps set up just how I like it. QUESTION: If I use the UPGRADE path on the updates will I retain all my settings and apps or will I have to start over and re-install apps and apply settings. Thanks you in advance - Ian Goulburn Australia.

craig10x
March 14th, 2015, 03:15 AM
Yes, you should retain all your settings, apps,even data...but two things you will want to do is burn an iso or usb image of the next version...just in case...and i would back up any important data on a usb flashdrive...again..just in case (always good to have back up plan)...However, you can't JUMP from 14.04 to 15.04 directly....what you should do is UPGRADE NOW to 14.10 and then when 15.04 is released toward the end of April, then you will upgrade to that...

If you have any ppas in your "software sources" uncheck them before doing the upgrades then re-check them afterwards...
To get the message that an upgrade is available to 14.10, now...just go to "software sources" and change the box that says notify me when an LTS version is available to notify me when ANY new version is available...then run your updater again and the message should come up...

At the end of the upgrade, it will offer to clean out the no longer needed stuff...i always say YES (it's kind of like a clean up janitor...lol)
How fast it downloads all the files will depend on your internet speed...once it gets all the files, it usually takes about an hour...then you re-boot...and viola NEW VERSION ;)
I have upgraded a number of times and have found ubuntu upgrades to be pretty darn reliable these days..especially if you use a "stock" ubuntu (meaning you don't mess around a lot and make major modifications)...

sammiev
March 14th, 2015, 03:27 AM
Please note that 15.04 only has a short life of 9 months.

ansus
March 14th, 2015, 03:43 AM
I see on the Updater - Notify me of any Long Term Support version option, but reading what you have written there is not a path from 14.04 to 15.04 so I am confused about that setting now craig

ansus
March 14th, 2015, 03:44 AM
OH, I didn't notice that, I thought it was an LTS.

ansus
March 14th, 2015, 03:52 AM
Since you alerted me to the short support of 15.04, I will stick with 14.04 LTS until 16.04 LTS comes out then, To be honest I love 14.04 LTS as its so reliable and stable. Moving to Ubuntu from Windows is the best thing I have ever done computing wise. Thanks for the alert. Ian

ansus
March 14th, 2015, 03:55 AM
I was concerned with the software apps, and settings. My version is pretty standard but I also run Thunderbird with Enigmail and was concerned at setting that all up again with certificates and so on.

craig10x
March 14th, 2015, 03:57 AM
ansus: The default setting in the sources is LTS for those who prefer to upgrade directly to each new LTS (which is every 2 years 14.04, 16.04, etc) the other setting for those who prefer to upgrade to each new 6 month version...
Personally, i prefer to upgrade to each new 6 month version and get the newest kernel, latest versions of apps, and new features...if you follow that path, then the 9 months of updates on the 6 month versions become irrelevant, that only matters if you are staying with a 6 month version for the long term...

So, it depends on your personal preference...If you don't mind using older versions of apps and older kernels, then going LTS to LTS is fine...;)

Usually, with upgrades, nothing gets lost (but always good to do the back ups i mentioned just as an extra "measure" of protection)...my last 4 upgrades were 100% perfect...so my experience has been good with it, and as a result, i like "rolling" into each new version of ubuntu (without having to re-install)...

ansus
March 14th, 2015, 03:57 AM
I have saved your reply, as there are great tips on the upgrade process. Thanks - Ian

ansus
March 14th, 2015, 04:00 AM
LTS to LTS will be fine, I basically use email, watch a few videos, Skype and Email. Thanks for helping me decide Craig, your remarks have been helpful mate - Ian in Goulburn

craig10x
March 14th, 2015, 04:48 AM
No Problem, Ian :) Glad to be of help, mate ;)
My two favorite accents (well they are "accents" to us yanks...lol) are british and aussie...

ansus
March 14th, 2015, 05:23 AM
My Grandson was born in Austin Texas in 2013, his Dad, my Son-in-Law was born in Fullerton LA and spent his teenage years in Austin Texas with his Grandmother. My Daughter and her Husband emigrated last October to Australia.

ansus
March 14th, 2015, 05:26 AM
Thanks Sammiev

flaymond
March 14th, 2015, 05:28 AM
NOTE: Every non-LTS release is mostly in active development. Don't get surprised if you experienced a lot of bugs and frustation with it.

ansus
March 14th, 2015, 05:35 AM
Pretty sure I will wait for 16.04 LTS InterProg

Bucky Ball
March 14th, 2015, 05:43 AM
Welcome from Adelaide, South Australia!

Yea, go LTS to LTS. One thing to remember, regardless of when you do the in-box upgrade: switch off any PPAs you've installed manually and revert any radical customisations you've made. These are the things that can go pear-shaped with an in-box upgrade.

I always do a clean install myself. If you have a spare partition, install 16.04 LTS when it comes out (or even before that) so you can play with it prior to migrating over and still have your stable 14.04 LTS install on another partition. This is what I generally do. The transition is then fairly painless. No rush, though, as 14.04 LTS is supported until April 2019. You could even wait for 18.04 LTS!

Good luck. ;)

ansus
March 14th, 2015, 06:05 AM
You are the second one to mention PPA's I have made note of that, thanks mate

Bucky Ball
March 14th, 2015, 09:26 AM
Thread moved to Installation & Upgrades.

Better here and might have more chance of helping future travelers with the same questions.

Good luck. :)