PDA

View Full Version : Hide top panel

julien13
March 13th, 2015, 03:27 PM
Is there a place to post suggestions for Unity?

I would like to suggest allowing users to remove/hide the top panel. I don't need to be comforted in knowing what time it is or how my battery is doing continuously so there's no use for this top panel nonsense. If I do, I can just query my terminal. Currently it seems to be integrated with the current window and the only way to get rid of it is to go into fullscreen mode with that window.

thanks,

julien

ajgreeny
March 13th, 2015, 04:43 PM
I'm not sure how the system would deal with global menus if the top panel was missing, but in general terms I agree that the lack of configuration options for unity is annoying; it's one of the reasons why I don't use it, and moved to Xubuntu when 10.04 with gnome-2 disappeared.

slickymaster
March 13th, 2015, 04:50 PM
Yeah, one of the many features that the xfce4 panel has is the 'intellihide' behavior option. ;)

QIII
March 13th, 2015, 04:54 PM
Since we are all just normal users like you here, making a suggestion here would not get the attention of the developers. They might accidentally stumble in here after a weekend bender, but this is not where they hang out.

I would suggest looking here (https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/Ubuntu-devel-discuss) to join a mailing list where you can make your suggestions.

I am not fond of Unity myself, although I do run one machine with Unity so I can keep up with it and help people with problems. I use Kubuntu on my primary machine because of its configurability and a few applications I prefer.

vasa1
March 14th, 2015, 02:50 AM
... I don't need to be comforted in knowing what time it is or how my battery is doing continuously so there's no use for this top panel nonsense. If I do, I can just query my terminal. Currently it seems to be integrated with the current window and the only way to get rid of it is to go into fullscreen mode with that window.
You seem to be quite proficient. Why not just use another distro that meets your needs?