PDA

View Full Version : Acer Aspire s7 installation

thugnasty00
March 12th, 2015, 06:20 PM
I am attempting to dual boot ubuntu with windows on an acer aspire s7, have spend the last 3 days searching threads looking for tips but I have yet to find a detailed account of someone actually dual booting without completely deleting windows.

I am able to get ubuntu to run off usb with raid and secure boot turned off and also in legacy mode. In the install screen i have to select 'something else' since it doesn't detect windows and i have an sonesda and sdb with 128gigs on them each. Any help is appreciated as i've pretty much looked at all the other acer threads as well as a bunch of intel RST

thugnasty00
March 13th, 2015, 05:32 PM
So update, I managed to install ubuntu, although i did manage to wipe my windows. After actually doing all of the stuff to get ubuntu to work I am pretty comfortable with going through the steps to get windows and ubuntu running along side each other.

DennisFolsom
March 13th, 2015, 05:58 PM
Was your Acer shipped with Windows 7 or Windows 8? If Windows 8, you definitely have the added complexity of the UEFI boot system. If Windows 7, depending on model, you may have the older BIOS setup, which is a lot easier to deal with.

Before ordering my new computer, I did a bunch of research on UEFI to prepare. When I got my Acer Acer AXC-605-UR2B (with Windows 7), I was pleased to see that it had the classic BIOS.

I have pointed out what I think is the first thing you need to know about your computer before installing Ubuntu. The process is quite different if you need to set up a dual-boot with a UEFI setup, such as most, if not all, Windows 8 machines being shipped these days. Some Windows 7 machines are shipped with UEFI as well.

My dual-boot setup, with Windows 7 and Ubuntu 14.04 works quite well.