PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] File & Printer Sharing

Peter_Williams
March 12th, 2015, 05:26 PM
I tried to use Linux sometime ago - but just gave up!

I have now got an oldish Toshiba laptop and have just installed Ubuntu v14.04.
I have read various articles posts etc and all seems straight forward but nothing seems to work for me
Now I want to communicate via my router to my Windows 7 PC - to share files and access the printer

I understand SAMBA will allow me to do this.
I went to the Ubuntu Software Center, found Samba and installed but I can't find the installed software - i.e. if I search for Samba I have a directory, file smb.conf, file gcommands and directory tls (empty) but no application.
I tried removing and installing again
I managed to edit the config file and change the WORKGROUP to Homegroup (the name of my windows group)

I can click Windows Network then I see the WORKGROUP and HOMEGROUP icons. When I try to access I am presented with a window "Password Required for HomeGroup", the user name is already stated as me - peter - and domain HOMEGROUP so I enter a password. The window just redraws with a blank space for the password (i.e. the password appears to be rejected). I have tried my 'overall' ubuntu password and tried the Windows 7 Homegroup password

I just feel so frustrated having spent so much time and got nowhere

Any help - point in the right direction appreciated

dino99
March 12th, 2015, 05:55 PM
ubuntu is for human beings :p it will find your printer (if powered on of course) by itself when you send a print job (aka you simply right-click on the file you want printed)