PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Lubuntu 14.04 installed, now I want to change some things...

evoblade
March 7th, 2015, 03:29 AM
I installed Lubuntu 14.04, taking up a whole disk. I used the disk encryption option in the installer. Now I am wishing I left some space on the disk and I would also like to dual boot windows xp. Can I change it or do I need to nuke and pave? I would already have just reinstalled, but I struggled a bit getting YNAB running under WINE and I don't want to blow that away. Plus, I have pretty much everything installed and updated.

kerry_s
March 7th, 2015, 05:11 AM
boot from the live cd & use gparted to resize the partition

evoblade
March 9th, 2015, 10:39 PM
That didn't work. My working drive is encrypted. I have

/dev/sda1 /boot (200M)
/dev/sda2 (extended partition)
/dev/sda5 / (crypt-luks FS, rest of disk, cannot be resized.)

Is there a way to decrypt my encrypted FS and then resize, or do I have to restart from scratch?

slickymaster
March 9th, 2015, 10:44 PM
That didn't work. My working drive is encrypted. I have

/dev/sda1 /boot (200M)
/dev/sda2 (extended partition)
/dev/sda5 / (crypt-luks FS, rest of disk, cannot be resized.)

Is there a way to decrypt my encrypted FS and then resize, or do I have to restart from scratch?
I would advise you to start over from scratch. It's possible, but it would be a highly time consuming and error-prone procedure.

The encryption is handled by an extra software layer between the file system and the physical hard drive, not the file system itself. You'd have to move the whole file system (or all files) to another partition (with enough free space) or external HDD. Then, remove the encrypted container, and recreate the file system without encryption. Finally, make sure that the new file system is properly recognized by the boot loader and mount -a before rebooting.

Elfy
March 9th, 2015, 10:47 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/ResizeEncryptedPartitions