PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] gnome shell ram use 800 mb is normal ?

cosy2
March 6th, 2015, 08:31 PM
Hi forum, like the title say i want to ckeck if the ram usage for gnome shell is normal to start under 200 and run up to 800.

Tia

kerry_s
March 6th, 2015, 08:39 PM
yes, it will make use of ram for speed. your not doing nothing else with that ram are you ?

cosy2
March 6th, 2015, 08:44 PM
yes, it will make use of ram for speed. your not doing nothing else with that ram are you ?

just wanted to know if is normal :D

kerry_s
March 6th, 2015, 08:57 PM
yeah, newer kernels are making better use of ram if available. i'm using elementary os & i see that same kind of use, boot's about 200+mb & go's up from there as you use apps.
i have 2gb & notice it will use up to just under a gig, but everything does feel faster. :)

buzzingrobot
March 7th, 2015, 12:25 AM
Yes, I'd say 800mb for the gnome-shell process itself is excessive. In my experience, it's typical for gnome-shell to be at 150-200mb immediately after logging in, and growing somewhat during a session. Some previous gnome-shell versions appear to have had a memory leak that would eventually gobble memory along the lines you see, but I've never seen that in current versions.

If you use any extensions, disable them as a test. Perhaps one of them is the culprit.

You can restart gnome-shell by logging out and in, or simply by doing an alt-f2 and entering an 'r' in the dialogue box that's displayed.