PDA

View Full Version : Choosing what to install for my UI (laptop user)

New_buntu_89
March 5th, 2015, 11:48 PM
So I'm coming back to Ubuntu after a couple of years of not using it (my previous laptop died, long story). I would like to install Ubuntu on my current laptop, but the problem is that I cannot stand the new Unity interface. I need a system that is very reliable, flexible enough to use everything my laptop came with, and a customizable enough UI that it will feel similar to the old GNOME desktop without any problems (the right screen size, window buttons on the right side, etc). What do you guys recommend? Should I install Ubuntu Mate? Should I install Trusty Tahr and then add the classic GNOME Fallback (like these guys do: http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2014/04/install-gnome-classic-desktop-in-ubuntu-14-04/ )? Is there a better workaround (using Compiz or something)? Or is there a better way of getting what I need?

For reference, back when I used Ubuntu 9, I moved things around to make the interface a bit similar to Windows (window buttons on the right side, menu bar at the bottom of the screen, etc). I don't want the UI to look anything like Mac. I didn't mess with the UI much more, but I do want to start programming in Python.

kerry_s
March 6th, 2015, 01:58 AM
if you want old gnome, then mate is going to be perfect for you, it's a fork.

New_buntu_89
March 6th, 2015, 03:08 AM
Do u know if it has any weird bugs? (I know it was added to the official "flavors" only recently...)

BTW, what do u mean it's a "fork" (non-native speaker)?

kerry_s
March 6th, 2015, 04:26 AM
no weird bugs the last time i used.
a "fork" like copy of gnome 2, but they had to change things like names of apps to continue development be side the current gnome. so it'll look & act like you remembered back then, but app names are different.
example:
"nautilus file manager" is now "caja file manager"
etc...

basically you just learn the new names pretty standard stuff.

i use elementary os beta, which is built on top ubuntu 14lts, it has it's own stuff to that i had to learn.

i'm subscribed to this thread if you have further questions, i think my email checks every 10min's, so i'll respond pretty fast.

New_buntu_89
March 6th, 2015, 06:02 AM
Hey, thanks a lot for the quick replies! So, a couple more things:

- What's the difference between installing the Mate desktop after installing the standard Ubuntu?
- Would u recommend using the Ubuntu Mate 14.04LTS version from their site, or is there a benefit to using the newer versions?

kerry_s
March 6th, 2015, 06:10 AM
Hey, thanks a lot for the quick replies! So, a couple more things:

- What's the difference between installing the Mate desktop after installing the standard Ubuntu?
- Would u recommend using the Ubuntu Mate 14.04LTS version from their site, or is there a benefit to using the newer versions?

well you get a mix of apps, aka: bloat. personally i never like mixing, it gets hard to tell what app goes with what.

yeah, for long term support you want to grab 14.04.2lts
but if you want the latest & plan on grabbing 15 later, just grab 14.10, you have 6 months of support to change you mind down the line.

New_buntu_89
March 6th, 2015, 06:18 AM
Sorry my first question made little sense, I just noticed. Your answer was good though. So, if I need a specific fix (i.e. getting the right screen resolution, working the light-up keys, etc), the same fixes found on the usual Ubuntu sites (askubuntu.com, help.ubuntu.com, etc) still apply? Perhaps a better question, are there differences under the hood, aside from the UI?

kerry_s
March 6th, 2015, 06:29 AM
yeah pretty much just looks & apps, there is some difference under the hood, but hardly noticeable. different framework for different house. lol

New_buntu_89
March 6th, 2015, 06:35 AM
Alright man, that's all I can think of. After this, and reading a bit more about it online, I think I'm ready to try Ubuntu Mate. Thank you so much!!

kerry_s
March 6th, 2015, 06:37 AM
no problem, i'm just messing around with the looks of my setup, in other words i'm bored. lol