PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] 3.13.0-46 already installed but update wants to add it again...

dangillmor
March 3rd, 2015, 05:28 PM
Running Ubuntu 14.04.2, and I'm not sure why the updater thinks I don't already have the 3.13.0-46 kernel already installed (I do, as uname -r shows), but it wants to install it again. Is it safe to allow this?

oldos2er
March 3rd, 2015, 05:49 PM
Kernel updates should always be installed.

Bashing-om
March 3rd, 2015, 06:06 PM
dangillmor; Hello;

Running Ubuntu 14.04.2, and I'm not sure why the updater thinks I don't already have the 3.13.0-46 kernel already installed (I do, as uname -r shows), but it wants to install it again. Is it safe to allow this?

I noticed the same this AM. I consider there must have been a 'fix' for the current kernel of some degree. I did the update on 2 systems with no known ill effects.

my bit to try and help

deadflowr
March 3rd, 2015, 06:09 PM
I answered a different thread, somewhere, on this but here
http://www.ubuntu.com/usn/usn-2516-2/

a regression occurred, so a fixed version of kernel was released.
Which is why you seemingly are being asked to install a kernel you already have.

ajgreeny
March 3rd, 2015, 08:17 PM
If you had looked more closely at the upgrade package info you would have seen that today it upgraded from linux-image-3.13.0-46.76-generic to 3.13.0-46.77, ie a point version upgrade; they don't happen too often but are certainly not particularly unusual either.

dangillmor
March 3rd, 2015, 09:01 PM
Aha, thanks -- I didn't notice that! Installing now.

ajgreeny
March 4th, 2015, 04:10 PM
I nearly always update packages using synaptic,which is the first thing I add to any *ubuntu installation that does not have it by default.

Depending on your settings for synaptic it will give you a great deal more info about the packages to be updated or installed than other methods, with the exception of terminal, but I configure synaptic to carry out changes in a terminal window so get the best of the GUI and CLI worlds all in one.