PDA

View Full Version : Installation Problem

jamespalm1
March 1st, 2015, 07:29 AM
Hello,
I am having a problem with I what I think is the GUI interface or perhaps GRUB, but I'm not sure. I have installed Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS previously, but on this laptop (Dell Inspiron) I have had a problem. I installed ubuntu from a DVD and it installs all the way but after I install the ubuntu-desktop and startx it goes to a checkered screen where I can't do anything. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Bucky Ball
March 1st, 2015, 07:35 AM
Welcome. Why are you installing ubuntu-desktop? If this is a regular install it is already there.

What exactly are you installing? The minimal install? The server version? If you're installing the regular Ubuntu desktop release and after install and a restart you are not getting to a login screen, logging in and getting to a desktop, something is wrong. You shouldn't need to install ubuntu-desktop and get to the desktop by issueing 'startx'.

jamespalm1
March 1st, 2015, 07:42 AM
It is a server install I think. I get to a command line interface and am in the process of installing ubuntu-desktop at the moment.

jamespalm1
March 1st, 2015, 07:58 AM
I think I may have solved it. Thanks for your speedy reply and knowledge.

Bucky Ball
March 1st, 2015, 08:30 AM
I think I may have solved it.

Good news, but please share how you fixed it (it's the done thing here ;)).

If you are installing ubuntu-desktop, why not just install Ubuntu desktop??? There is little point installing the server version if you are then going to install *buntu-desktop. Installing Ubuntu desktop is identical to installing Ubuntu directly from install media. Might have saved yourself some time and trouble.

Anyway, let us know how you got things going, please. ;)