PDA

View Full Version : Does it sound good in English - for native English speakers

recalcitrant
February 28th, 2015, 11:11 PM
Hello

Is it OK to say in English:

One of my strong points is attention to detail. I am very scrupulous about what I do. Computer graphics is essential here and it taught me a lot for that matter because you have to be very careful while drawing.

Does it all sound good?

thanks

TheFu
February 28th, 2015, 11:33 PM
Hello

Is it OK to say in English:

One of my strong points is attention to detail. I am very scrupulous about what I do. Computer graphics is essential here and it taught me a lot for that matter because you have to be very careful while drawing.

Does it all sound good?

thanks

No - scrupulous isn't normally used in that way. I've only seen it used in a negative context - "unscrupulous." I have scruples - that's used from time to time, usually after calling someone else a liar.

Shorter: One of my strong points is meticulous attention to detail.
I'd also strike "for that matter" completely - it adds words that don't add more meaning to the sentence. The last sentence sounds "young" which can be good or bad - depends on what you hope to achieve.

If this is for a resume, shorter, action sentences are good and reducing the number of pronouns, since the person reading isn't really reading, they are skimming and will only read the parts with words that catch their eyes. For a cover letter, being short is important, but being specific "here" doesn't say what location, job, role. THAT is what is important.

coldraven
March 1st, 2015, 07:10 AM
Shorter: One of my strong points is meticulous attention to detail.
I'd also strike "for that matter" completely - it adds words that don't add more meaning to the sentence. The last sentence sounds "young" which can be good or bad - depends on what you hope to achieve.
+1

Bucky Ball
March 1st, 2015, 07:30 AM
Computer graphics is essential here and it taught me a lot for that matter because you have to be very careful while drawing.

... could read:

The precision required when creating computer graphics has taught me a lot.

... but I would elaborate on what 'a lot' is.

The precision required when creating computer graphics has taught me ...

Fill in with what the precision required when creating computer graphics has taught you. 'A lot' gives no detail. 'A lot' could mean that it has taught you a lot about the futility of creating computer graphics or a lot about why it is preferable to use a pencil and paper instead. ;)

shantiq
March 9th, 2015, 05:06 PM
and one more version :)

Attention to detail is paramount. I insist on precision in my work. Computer Graphics matters much here as it has taught me quasi-unfailing accuracy.

TheFu
March 9th, 2015, 05:23 PM
I don't understand the last sentence. I've re-read it about 7 times and still don't understand it. I'm a native American speaker - perhaps other countries use those words? I've never heard quasi-unfailing used together in my life and "unfailing accuracy" is just another way to say precise or detailed.

I would drop the 2nd sentence completely. If you are trying to get hired - "insist" is a bad word to use. It lacks flexibility, which is paramount in the real world. Sometimes "good enough" is all that is wanted, not perfection. Being flexible and multi-tasking between different projects has been more important in my career.

I've has a job where perfection was more important than anything else - including budget or schedules. If the product wasn't perfect, people died and a $20B national asset would crash. Being correct mattered. OTOH, every job since that one, being "good-enough" was more important by far. The companies couldn't afford to wait for "perfection."

mastablasta
March 11th, 2015, 12:32 PM
In the end if you know the manager or one of the CEOs, you get the job, no matter the CV and qualification...

same goes for promotions here. no matter how good you are you don't get a promotion to more demanding work unless you are connected or someone dies and they can't find a replacement fast enough. totally unprofessional.