PDA

View Full Version : Shell script timestamp variable

fr33z0n3r
February 28th, 2015, 04:41 PM
I'm no linux expert so I was hoping someone could help me on this shell script issue with a timestamp variable.

This is the line I have in use. It is a line to insert into my logfile for the shell script. I am noticing that the date does not update when I reuse the variable LOGENTRY. How can I get this variable to update the timestamp?

LOGENTRY="`date '+%b %d %k:%M:%S'` `hostname -s` `basename $0`:"
echo $LOGENTRY something to log

Thanks in advance!

Gustaf_Alhll
February 28th, 2015, 05:04 PM
Make a loop and delay by using "sleep 1".
Ex.

while true; do
LOGENTRY="`date '+%b %d %k:%M:%S'` `hostname -s` `basename $0`:"
echo $LOGENTRY something to log
sleep 1
done
There are better ways to do it, but this is one way to.
Hope this helps!

Lars Noodén
February 28th, 2015, 05:08 PM
I'm pretty sure that there is not a way to use a regular environment variable in that way. I think you'd have to put it on a single line:

echo "$(/bin/date +'%b %d %k:%M:%S') $(/bin/hostname -s) $(/usr/bin/basename -- "$0"):" "something to log"

fr33z0n3r
February 28th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Rats! I have been playing with it since posting and discovered that by eliminating the VERY helpful variable, it was able to update.

I just figured linux is so powerful, why can't a variable actively evaluate again and again by default?

Is there some way to force evaluation? I've seen eval?

ian-weisser
February 28th, 2015, 07:56 PM
It's just a variable - an inert set of data bytes. It's not a class or a function or a method or anything active.

You can write a function to update the variable if you really want to.

Or you can write a function to create an updated timestamp string each time you need to log something.

ofnuts
February 28th, 2015, 11:32 PM
What you can do is keep the format in a variable to make sure that the same date format is used consistently. But considering that all logging goes also to the same file, if you want to make your logging simpler you write a function:

function log {
printf "%s (%06d): %s\n" "$(date '+%F %H:%M:%S')" $$ "$*" >> /some/path/to/file.log
}

and in your code

log "this line will be logged"
log this line will be logged too

fr33z0n3r
March 3rd, 2015, 01:26 AM
@ofnuts - I thought I submitted my response, but I guess I missed that. I went with middle ground, but I will look to implement a simple function like you proposed. Its not painful. Thanks!