PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Installing Trusty 14.04

max90
February 28th, 2015, 10:53 AM
Hi friends
I am relatively new to ubuntu but nevertheless my problem is bizzare, here is the situation:
1) I had a triple boot system with Windows8, ubuntu 12.02 and kali linux, but I had bugs in Win and also wianted to upgrade to 14.04 so I wiped out all OS and installed Win7
2) Now I wish to install 14.04 trusty tahr but every time I try that the installation hangs/Freezes after some time,
3) I have tried all versions from 13.10 to 14.10 both x86 and amd64 but the result is always the same, hangs and freezes. I am using a bootable usb if that helps

Please help, I have some upcoming assignments to finish ;)
Cheers
Max

Bucky Ball
February 28th, 2015, 11:03 AM
Welcome. Firstly, forget 13.10, it is no longer supported. I know you were probably just testing, but thought I'd mention. ;)

Are you getting to the options screen when you boot from the USB? Try Ubuntu, Install, etc.? If so, try hitting F6 then choose the nomodeset option. Proceed. Have you tried 'Try Ubuntu' rather than 'Install Ubuntu' and still get the same, a black screen?

If you're not getting that far, are you booting from the USB to a blank, black screen? Did you install Win7 in UEFI and you are trying to install Ubuntu not in UEFI mode?

If you're still stuck at the black screen, what happens when you hit control+alt+F1? Can you get to a CLI?