PDA

View Full Version : [SOLVED] How change desktop interface unity for other like Gnome ou KDE in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS

fbio7
February 27th, 2015, 01:07 PM
Hi ...

I Would like to try other versions of the interface on ubuntu. Today I'm using ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64 bits AMD and I want to play with others desktop interfaces (Gnome, KDE, etc). How can I do It ???

I thought about virtualization and install Xubuntu, etc...In the next months I'm going to try other Gnu Linux distribution like slackware, debian, etc..How can I do It without unistall the ubuntu ?? risks ??

ps: (Sorry for the incorrect word my write in english is not the best.)

kc1di
February 27th, 2015, 01:34 PM
There are a couple ways to do it.
1. Virtual box -
2. use live DVD/usb to test out new DE without changing anything on the machine. (draw back is any changes you make will not be saved on reboot.)
3 install the desktop of interest along side unity and choose which one you want to use when you sign in. (Draw back there may be some interaction with other desktops on the same installs and you'll end up with some duplication of files and programs.)
you can accomplish # 3 by installing xubuntu-desktop; kubuntu-desktop etc. but it's a little more complex if you want gnome-shell.
good luck.

my advise try the live DVD first, see which DE you like the best then do a fresh install.

v3.xx
February 27th, 2015, 05:04 PM
If you wish to test everything :) VirtualBox is excellent for this.

grahammechanical
February 27th, 2015, 05:26 PM
The Ubuntu Software Centre has some alternative desktops that can be installed. There are posts on this forum from people who have installed an alternative desktop and when they want to remove it they find that things do not go back to as they were when they only had the Unity user interface.

This has also been my experience. I once installed several alternative desktops as an experiment and I ended up re-installing as an easy way out of the mess. My advice is not to experiment on your daily use Ubuntu installation but on another installation that you dual boot into and can easily re-install without being worried about loosing documents. Or a VM. Or a live session. Or a full installation that you dual boot into. All we need is 15 to 20 GB of disk space to test out other members of the Ubuntu family.

Regards.

fbio7
March 1st, 2015, 02:52 PM
Hi guys

Thanks for the observation. I will follow some of the tips that you mentioned for trying others interfaces ans distribuitions...Lets see this virtualbox !! :)