PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Green Sceen and crash when installing Ubuntu

rob120
February 26th, 2015, 07:06 PM
Hello,

Recently I thought I would switch from Windows to Ubuntu after a friend recommended it to me, so today I went ahead and bought a 4 gb blank DVD and burnt it on, that went well, so the instruction told me to boot via disc so I did that, i selected the language and selected the install ubuntu , it proceeds to the splash page where it has the dots below the logo after 3-4 minutes I get the a space-invaders/matrix looking screen and it freezes on that. I am slightly an amateur when it comes to software, but if anyone can help, it will be greatly appreciated!

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-ygjYXXIAIACtw.jpg:large

Link to PC specs: http://www.pcpro.co.uk/reviews/desktops/369727/acer-predator-g5900

rob120
February 26th, 2015, 07:55 PM
Also, I just tried installed Xubuntu and I had the same issue.

ajgreeny
February 26th, 2015, 08:34 PM
It has an nvidia card so you probably need to use the nomodeset option to get to a usable but low resolution desktop for both the live system and the installed OS for its first boot from which you can then install the proprietary nvidia driver by using Additional Drivers

Boot the live DVD/USB again and at the first screen you see (or maybe it's the screen where you choose to install or try, I can't remember) hit F6 and there you can select from the available boot options. Try nomodeset first and you may get to a usable but low resolution desktop which will allow you to install the OS.

If that works OK reboot and at the grub menu (hold shift at power-on if you don't see a grub menu) hit "E" to edit, navigate to the line with quiet splash in it and replace those two words with nomodeset. Hit Ctrl+X to boot with that option, probably again low resolution, but it should allow you to install a driver from Additional Drivers for your nvidia card. Reboot again and hopefully you will now have a system working as you want.