PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu14.04.2 LTS: Positive Feedback/Stable/No Bugs on second attempt

MikeMecanic
February 25th, 2015, 11:15 PM
I installed the 14.04.1 LTS a mount ago with a DVD and via the software updater, I'm at 14.04.2 LTS. Among the few things to do after the installation, I didn't choose the one for additional or extra Codec on my second attempt. We don't need that! At first, I notice that it generates problems or bugs and I was not sure if during the installation by clicking on additional audio codec or files it was the source of bugs. So I decide to reinstall it again. This time I didn't check additional audio files or codecs. Same for extra codec on Post_installation: Install Ubuntu Restricted Extras for media codecs.

So far so good: Quite and stable, no bug at all. Even more, acts like a first class O/S on Opera 27.0.xxx. Good work Guys!!!

http://itsfoss.com/things-to-do-after-installing-ubuntu-14-04/

grahammechanical
February 28th, 2015, 04:45 PM
The Try Ubuntu or live session uses an open source video driver. If during installation we tick the box "Install third party software" we get a proprietary video driver. When I do test installs I never tick for third party software and I usually get a good install experience. Mind you my hardware is far from the newest hardware.

It is possible to do a lot without installing Restricted Extras. But sometimes we may need those audio and visual codecs even if we do not need Microsoft core fonts. For example, I was testing Ubuntu Web Browser on a site that provided audio and video files for download and playing. If an audio file is in MP3 format we will need one of those restricted codecs as I did when trying to play a music file from the site. Playing video through Ubuuntu Browser was not a problem. It was the limited audio formats that was the problem.

Regards.

MikeMecanic
March 1st, 2015, 05:09 AM
Thank you for the advice.
Will remember it : Mind you my hardware is far from the newest hardware

mastablasta
March 2nd, 2015, 01:01 PM
The Try Ubuntu or live session uses an open source video driver. If during installation we tick the box "Install third party software" we get a proprietary video driver. When I do test installs I never tick for third party software and I usually get a good install experience.

it might be better to change the process and for the user to get the option to install 3rd party software upon first boot rather than during install.
if gpu drivers are not supported then some vesa mode could be made available.