PDA

View Full Version : Piping find output into xargs

cogset
February 25th, 2015, 08:44 PM
I apologize if this isn't so much of a programming question but rather a general question about using find and xargs, if this needs to be moved please do so.

Having said that, I'm after a combination of commands that will allow me to find all *jpeg files in a directory, rename them to *jpeg and then immediately link those renamed files in another directory where I keep an index of recent files.

So far I've come up with this
find . -mindepth 1 -exec rename 's/\.jpeg$/\.jpg/' '{}' ';'which works, what I'd like to do next is to link the resulting *jpg files to another directory using one command.
To that extent I've tried
find . -mindepth 1 -exec rename 's/\.jpeg$/\.jpg/' '{}' '; |xargs -I {} cp -s {} /tmp but to no avail, I really don't know this stuff and xargs in particular, so is there any way to make this work?
Should I use something else altogether?

I've also tried this
find . -mindepth 1 -exec rename 's/\.jpg$/\.jpeg/' '{}' ';' && for F in '*jpeg' ; do find $F -cmin -1 -exec cp -s '{}' /tmp/ ';' ; done but it doesn't work either, refusing to create the links.

Vaphell
February 26th, 2015, 02:05 AM
oneliners are overrated, if you want to cram non-trivial logic in there you are better off with a script that is more readable and maintainable.

#!/bin/bash

while read -rd $'\0' jpg
do
jpeg=${jpg%.*}.jpeg
mv "$jpg" "$jpeg"
cp -s "$jpeg" /tmp
done < <( find -iname '*.jpg' -print0 )

cogset
February 27th, 2015, 07:52 PM
Thanks, both for the script and for pointing out that "oneliners" are not necessarily the best solution.

Having said that, I'm still curious about to why in the second line that I've posted, xargs doesn't seem to work at all: is that a trivial syntax error on my part, or is it just not supposed to work at all in that case?

Whilst for the last line I've posted, cp -s fails to create the links at all, printing the message
can make relative symbolic links only in current directoryand ln -s creates broken symlinks.

Vaphell
March 1st, 2015, 07:43 PM
it doesn't work because there is no (viable) input for xargs to work with. The pipe redirects output to input of another command, if the preceding command spits out nothing the following command chain has nothing to do.

I just ran find -exec rename and despite 53 matching files the command was completely silent. No wonder xargs does nothing.
Find prints out found items by default, but whenever you do something else on the fly with -exec or whatever that behavior is overriden and stuff on stdout is not a given.