PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] Are lubuntu library and download apps/programs preserved when upgrading to 14.10?

SirThomasIs
February 24th, 2015, 11:05 PM
Are lubuntu library and download apps/programs preserved when upgrading to 14.10?

Or do all apps, programs, folders, and files need to be backed up, saved, or downloaded again after upgrading from 14.04 to 14.10?

If I do have to back up or save all these, how is best to do it?

Thank you.

nerdtron
February 25th, 2015, 07:39 AM
First, you sure you want to upgrade to 14.10? It is only supported for 9 month since it's release so you will soon need to upgrade again.
Next, all applications installed will be preserved and upgraded to the version available on 14.10 but please be aware that in-place upgrades like this can be hit-or-miss. Some users have successful upgrades, some don't. Others have only have slight problems, while others can't reboot at all depending on hardware/software combination.
It is for you to decide if you still want to upgrade.

As always have a backup of your important data when you do a major change on your computer.

Bucky Ball
February 25th, 2015, 10:16 AM
If you've made many customisations and have added a lot of PPAs, it can be problematic. Disable PPAs you've added and enable them after the upgrade is the main thing.

At the end of the day, I agree with nerdtron. 14.04 LTS is supported until April 2019, while 14.10 is supported until April this year, at which stage you'll need to upgrade to 15.04. Unless you have a specific reason, I wouldn't bother.

Good luck, whatever way you go. ;)

* Update: My mistake. I missed that you were using Lubuntu. Another staff member has reminded me that ...

Lubuntu 14.04 is supported through april 2017 and 14.10 through June 2015.

Cheers. ;)