PDA

View Full Version : [lubuntu] 'Boot CD-ROM Type: Non-Emulation Booting'. Lubuntu 14.04 on Toshiba Tecra.

shinkaide
February 23rd, 2015, 01:18 PM
Hi folks. I'm trying to revive an old Tecra Laptop with WinXP that no longer boots. It doesn't like booting from flash drives, so all I'm left with is to try and boot using a DVD. So I burned Lubuntu on to one and stuck it in... but the furthest I could get was this message:

Boot CD-ROM Type: Non-Emulation Booting.

http://i.imgur.com/gjJnCd1l.jpg

I'm kind of stuck and not sure what to try. Any suggestions on what to try next?

mrgs
February 23rd, 2015, 03:55 PM
How did it stop booting Windows? Did you change hardware / software / BIOS settings?

shinkaide
March 1st, 2015, 06:38 AM
Oh! My bad, I worded it wrong (sorry 'bout that). It used to run Windows XP, then one day it just got borked, and kept asking to be reactivated. We couldn't reactivate it, despite trying the different ways that were suggested. So now we're trying to install a Linux distro on it. Which is how we ended up getting what's pictured in the first post, and I don't know enough to move past this.

mrgs
March 2nd, 2015, 08:08 AM
I don't have any good ideas. There are many hits in Google for this error but I didn't find anything relevant.

shinkaide
March 9th, 2015, 11:59 AM
Yeah, that's pretty much the same thing I came up with, so I ended up coming here to the forums instead. I guess I'm still stuck on not getting progress on this for now. :(

But thanks.