PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 12.04 won't suspend, reboot, or shutdown

Offkey
February 22nd, 2015, 11:04 PM
I have recently purchased a new laptop, hp pavilion 11n040ca. I installed Ubuntu 12.04 (64 bit) on it, and it runs great; except it won't reboot, suspend, or shutdown. Specifically, it won't wake-up from suspend (just see black screen), and whenever I try to reboot or shutoff, it get stuck on the ubuntu logo (with the 5 dots filling-in and emptying).

What have I tried

After browsing the forums I first tried to reboot and shut-off from the comman line, using init andreboot.
I tried editing grub. To the line "GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" I tried adding (alternately) reboot=acpi, acpi=nomsi, and a few other options; I sudo update-grub and tried to reboot, same problem.

Any ideas or new directions to explore would be very much appreciated. Thank you in advance!

mörgæs
February 25th, 2015, 08:08 AM
Hi, welcome to the fora.

New hardware and old software is a bad combination. Have you tried 14.04.2 and/or 15.04 (development)?

Offkey
March 8th, 2015, 01:14 AM
Thank you for the suggestion. I have now tried to install both 14.02 and 14.10 and I run into the same problem. In fact the installation finishes successfully and the computer freezes on the reset step. Any ideas? =(

mörgæs
March 9th, 2015, 09:06 AM
And 15.04?

winter6
April 25th, 2015, 08:51 PM
I had the same problem. It was caused by a 'Wireless PCI Card' that was in my rig that I don't use and didn't install drivers for. I removed the PCI card and all worked fine. So Ubuntu probably new it was there and tried to shut it down, even though it was never properly installed and hung. So a possible fix may be make sure all your devices and drivers are properly installed and working.