PDA

View Full Version : Delta in time to maintain OSes

pfeiffep
February 20th, 2015, 09:23 PM
What a huge difference keeping an Ubuntu installation current compared with Windows 7.

I estimate that I spend about 15 - 30 minutes per week keeping my Ubuntu current - software updater just ran and took about 45 second to report that the software on this computer was up to date.
I'm in the process of updating, cleaning and defragging a Windows 7 install - I'm about 2.5 hours into it and the defrag estimate is 5 hours.
I keep the Win 7 installs because:

[*=1]I own the license
[*=1]I need iTunes for my iPhone
[*=1]I use the installed version of Tax Act
[*=1]I use Photo Shop Elements
[*=1]My grandaughter needs MS Word for homework

I'm super glad that Ubuntu, the OS I prefer, is so much simpler and quicker to maintain and much much faster!

TheFu
February 20th, 2015, 11:45 PM
I spend about 15 min per week to maintain current patches on 25+ systems here. No automatic updates - manually run a script that does this across all the machines, in sequence. It is a trivial bash loop that uses ssh. Really need to switch that over to using Ansible.

No daily updates. We have weekly maintenance periods for patching. I do the same for home systems ... except the Kodi machine which only gets patched every 1-2 months.

I do have an ansible script that tells me which specific machines need to be rebooted, however.

APT is a chief reason that I prefer Debian-based distros over the others, but almost all Linux distros do much better at complete software management than the competing OSes even attempt. An "app-store" is NOT the same thing. Without PPAs (or the equiv), we get a limited walled software source.

Linuxratty
February 21st, 2015, 01:02 PM
I've not use Windows in so long,I've totally forgot about Window's lovely "features." Only posts like this remind me of what I'm missing.